M&S Grape and Raspberry Juice

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

M&S Grape and Raspberry Juice

Post by MarkA » Fri May 15, 2015 12:29 pm

These were on offer recently, 3 for £5, so I thought I'd make some wine from them.

They don't contain any preservatives etc just grape (75%), raspberry (24%) and lemon juice.

I made 2 gallons with the following recipe;

3 cartons juice
1.6kg sugar
1 cup strong tea
Young's white wine yeast

The OG was 1.080, I usually aim for 1.090 but I reckon this should still come out around 11.5% and it'll be a nice, light wine for summer :-)

nursebetty

Re: M&S Grape and Raspberry Juice

Post by nursebetty » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:02 am

Might try this
How long will it take to brew?

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:28 pm

It depends on temperature and which yeast is used. I know someone who has made this recently using Young's Super Wine Yeast, fermented it warm (probably too warm) and it was finished in 2 weeks. Mine has been fermenting with Young's Red wine yeast since 12th of May at 19 degrees c and is showing no signs of slowing down. I would think it'll take a month to six weeks to finish, but I usually leave wine for a good few months before checking it.

After that, it'll be racked and the demijohn will be moved to a cool place to clear and mature. This can be anywhere from a few months to a year or two, I'll probably bottle mine when it's roughly a year old.

nursebetty

Post by nursebetty » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:06 am

I think I will try this
I must say my husband is lucky to have so much wine, I will have to brew beer as well

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:47 am

I have found that since I started making beer regularly (as opposed to the odd kit every now and then in the past), my wine lasts a lot longer and is much better for the wait :)