Filtering Wine

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
Jim
Site Admin

Filtering Wine

Post by Jim » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:36 pm

I'm struggling to find an answer to this anywhere: -

I have a Vinbrite filter and am about to filter 5gal of white wine through it. However, I've never filtered this much before and I'm a bit windy about just letting the filtered wine drop from the end of the filter 'funnel' down to the bottom of the receiving fv in case it absorbs too much oxygen.

I had thought that I'd use a tube on the end of the filter body and take it down to the bottom of the fv, but the design of the filter assembly makes this very difficult if not impossible (it has external ribs that prevent fitting a piece of tubing over it).

So am I worrying about nothing or do regular winemakers find a way to exclude air all the way through the filtering system?
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Filtering Wine

Post by 6470zzy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:55 pm

I can see your concern regarding possible oxidation, I have not used the Vinbrite before however have you given consideration to purging your FV with CO2 prior to the filtration process?

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:20 pm

6470zzy wrote:I can see your concern regarding possible oxidation, I have not used the Vinbrite before however have you given consideration to purging your FV with CO2 prior to the filtration process?

Cheers
Something I hadn't thought of, but a good idea! :)

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

lord.president
Hollow Legs

Post by lord.president » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:16 am

I use the Vinbrite every year,when bottling. I just let it drop into the bottles and cork. Never had any problems. You will need to change the filter pad at least twice though,as it will clog up fairly quickly.
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:49 pm

Push a length of tubing into, rather than over the outlet Jim.

http://uk-homebrew.tripod.com/id28.html

4th pic down is how I do it.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:18 pm

Horden Hillbilly wrote:Push a length of tubing into, rather than over the outlet Jim.

http://uk-homebrew.tripod.com/id28.html

4th pic down is how I do it.
Aha!! =D>

Thanks Dave - I wish your website had come up on the google search I did!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:43 pm

Make sure that you don't push the tubing too far up though Jim, there's a risk of putting a hole in the filter pad if you do. Don't ask me how I know that. :oops:

HLA91
Steady Drinker

Post by HLA91 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:28 pm

Give it a dosing of CT,s to help mitigate any oxygen exposure. I had the same concern when I first used my filter but fingers crossed no problems yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mjr6313
Piss Artist

Post by Mjr6313 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:04 am

What wine are you making?
With my own experiance I find that bulk aging helps with flavours so I let my wines clear on there own then bottle so no need for a filter.
My wife wanted me to get a hobby now I make beer. She says I'm always in my shed I KEEP TELLING HER IT WAS HER IDEA.

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:11 pm

I believe oxygenation is much less of a problem with wine than it is with beer. Look how winemakers 'whip' their wine to remove the CO2 - you wouldn't do that with beer.

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:58 pm

johnmac wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:11 pm
I believe oxygenation is much less of a problem with wine than it is with beer. Look how winemakers 'whip' their wine to remove the CO2 - you wouldn't do that with beer.
I have a batch of wine that’s a year old now that needs transferred from 10L demijohn to bottles. Do people really just knock the CO2 out, or is there a better way?

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:20 pm

HTH1975 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:58 pm
johnmac wrote:
I have a batch of wine that’s a year old now that needs transferred from 10L demijohn to bottles. Do people really just knock the CO2 out, or is there a better way?
Have you used finings at all? For the wines I have made I degassed it early on in the process. I was a bit nervy at first but after asking on here and being on some wine forums went ahead and done it using a paddle tool attached to my cordless drill, the Sauv Blanc I have in rotation just now is fine and no horrible off flavours. I bottled a red the other month there but yet to taste that one.

The process I follow is to ferment > rack to secondary > add sulphites once ferment is done > degas / whip > add finings > store wine for however long > filter if required > bottle

I am aging a Barolo type just now and topping up with potassium metabisulfite every 3 months, around a 1/4 tea spoon per 23L batch.

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:30 pm

Rhodesy wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:20 pm
HTH1975 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:58 pm
johnmac wrote:
Have you used finings at all? For the wines I have made I degassed it early on in the process. I was a bit nervy at first but after asking on here and being on some wine forums went ahead and done it using a paddle tool attached to my cordless drill, the Sauv Blanc I have in rotation just now is fine and no horrible off flavours. I bottled a red the other month there but yet to taste that one.

The process I follow is to ferment > rack to secondary > add sulphites once ferment is done > degas / whip > add finings > store wine for however long > filter if required > bottle

I am aging a Barolo type just now and topping up with potassium metabisulfite every 3 months, around a 1/4 tea spoon per 23L batch.
I haven’t used any finings yet, but do intend on doing so - I’ve got a two-part wine fining to use for this wine.

Probably worth adding a campden tablet now before racking ??????

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:39 pm

The kits usually provide both potassium sorbate & pottassium metabisulfite to help prevent any wild bacteria / yeast taking a hold and also to stave off oxygenation. Did you add these when it fermented out initially?

As for adding anything just now, might be worth reading up on g / l measurements?

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:06 pm

Rhodesy wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:39 pm
The kits usually provide both potassium sorbate & pottassium metabisulfite to help prevent any wild bacteria / yeast taking a hold and also to stave off oxygenation. Did you add these when it fermented out initially?

As for adding anything just now, might be worth reading up on g / l measurements?
It’s a hedgerow barolo - approx 75% blackberry, 25% elderberry. I added campden tablets early on to kill any wild yeasts, then the pulp fermented out on wine yeast for maybe 3-5 days before topping up with sugar and water. That’s my recollection though - it’s been a year gone October when I made it.