Wine kit leaving over a month?

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
bottles
Steady Drinker

Wine kit leaving over a month?

Post by bottles » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:56 pm

Hi All,
I started a wine kits a couple weeks ago. its bubbling along nicely. Rereading the instructions I realised that I will be away for about a month during some of the clearing phases.
What is the best route to take. Rack the wine off the lees and leave in the fermentation fridge on a low temp (5C) and start the clearing steps when I get back. Or start the clearing process and bottle when I return?
I haven't made wine from a kit in 20 odd years so don't feel that confident in the process.
Andrew

GAZ9053
Piss Artist

Re: Wine kit leaving over a month?

Post by GAZ9053 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:02 pm

I'd set it off clearing. Takes at least 2 weeks anyway.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:53 pm

Might be worth racking it, though its not been going that long really.
Some of my country wines take months (literally) - your kit won't mind being left for a while - probably do it good.
Leave the temp up unless you're convinced the ferment is finished (in which case definitely rack)

bottles
Steady Drinker

Post by bottles » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:25 pm

Thanks. I'll have a look tomorrow and see how is going. As I'm new to wine kids I'm not sure how the clearing agents work and what the difference would be if left in a cool chamber like beer?
Andrew

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:55 am

Probably best to rack it off first (as long as it's pretty well fermented out). I left my last wine kit for about 3 months after initially racking it off and adding the finings.

In the end it was beautiful and crystal clear so it just went straight in the bottles - still drinking our way through that one :) .
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter