Kit Process

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Kit Process

Post by Rhodesy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:06 pm

I am going to attempt my first wine kit which will be a 30 bottle one. I have been doing as much reading as possible but just wanted to make sure I am on the right page.

So the steps would be along the lines of

- Make kit up and ferment
- Add finings once fermentation is complete (I take it you add them cold like beer)?
- Once cleared rack to a bottling vessel & add Sodium Metabisulphite to correct dosage allowing to sit for 12 hours before bottling?
- Bottle

I am more looking to get my head around the fining process and adding stabilisers such as Sodium Metabisulphite prior to bottling. I understand the latter helps to slow down any oxygenation however when reading up on some finings they say to stir it in gently for a minute or so, do people see the same risks with oxygenation as you do with beer? I get to avoid things like splashing, leaving it over exposed etc but just to get my head round the process prior to packaging. I wouldn't be looking to use filters at this stage but if I get good results then may look to expand to that.

Any help/comments appreciated.

Horden Hillbilly

Re: Kit Process

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:44 pm

Rhodesy wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:06 pm

So the steps would be along the lines of

- Make kit up and ferment
- Add finings once fermentation is complete (I take it you add them cold like beer)?
- Once cleared rack to a bottling vessel & add Sodium Metabisulphite to correct dosage allowing to sit for 12 hours before bottling?
The Sodium Metabisulphite & stabiliser, Potassium Sorbate, should be added as soon as the fermentation is complete. Most of the "better" wine kits have those included in sachet form.

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:50 pm

Rhodesy wrote:
I am more looking to get my head around the fining process and adding stabilisers such as Sodium Metabisulphite prior to bottling. I understand the latter helps to slow down any oxygenation however when reading up on some finings they say to stir it in gently for a minute or so, do people see the same risks with oxygenation as you do with beer? I get to avoid things like splashing, leaving it over exposed etc but just to get my head round the process prior to packaging. I wouldn't be looking to use filters at this stage but if I get good results then may look to expand to that.

It's a good idea to de-gas the wine after fermentation, then add the finings. A whizz stick is ideal for this. As long as you gently stir your wine to mix the finings, ie no "splashing", it will be fine.

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:52 pm

Rhodesy wrote:
I wouldn't be looking to use filters at this stage but if I get good results then may look to expand to that.

Filters are not 100% essential, as long as you rack your wine a couple of times to get rid of the sediment, it will be ok. I do use a filter personally though, & I do see small particles of yeast & oak chips on the filter after it's done its job.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:26 am

@Horden Hillbilly - Thank you for the responses above, these are very helpful and are helping to put my mind at ease.

Just so I am clear, I would look to stablilise, de-gas (is this done over a number of days?) then add finings? Would a cold crash be required when fining? I see the 2 part fining method is popular?

Thanks again

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:30 pm

Rhodesy wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:26 am

Just so I am clear, I would look to stablilise, de-gas (is this done over a number of days?) then add finings? Would a cold crash be required when fining? I see the 2 part fining method is popular?
After adding the stabiliser, I give the wine a good stir with the whizz stick for about 3-4 mins, then wait a couple of minutes, then stir again. I normally repeat this about 4-5 times.

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:32 pm

Horden Hillbilly wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:30 pm
Rhodesy wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:26 am

After adding the stabiliser, I give the wine a good stir with the whizz stick for about 3-4 mins, then wait a couple of minutes, then stir again. I normally repeat this about 4-5 times. I haven't got the facility to cold crash myself, apart from the cold weather at present. I don't regard it as essential. Regarding finings, some kits come with one sachet, others do come with two.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:28 pm

Thanks again! I think I am going to take the jump once I get another couple of brews in to keep stocks at a maintainable level. I am looking to start with a 30 bottle kit, probably a white wine kit around the £40 mark and find my way.