Help with John Bull cider kit.

A forum for cider makers
afp71

Help with John Bull cider kit.

Post by afp71 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:50 am

Hi everyone, I'm totally new to the world of homebrew cider but could do with a few pointers. The first batch I made I followed the instructions for the forty pint brew and it turned out okish but was incredibly dry and a bit watery in the flavour department. The second time I tried to make a batch I replaced the sugar with eight litres of apple juice (tescos own brand) and although it's got more flavour it's still very dry and a tad tart. Has anyone got any tips on how to make it a tad sweeter or another brand of kit that's better than this (my local homebrew shop also stocks black rock cider kits). Any advice on this would be warmly welcomed.
Many thanks

Adam

Geezah

Re: Help with John Bull cider kit.

Post by Geezah » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:39 pm

For a carbonated sweet cider these are your options:

1. Once fermented and clear, add sugar to desired sweetness, add fermentation stopper, store the brew in a corny or keg, keep refrigerated @ below 8c, prime with co2.

2. Once fermented and clear, sweeten with artificial sweetener (yuck), prime and store in your chosen containers and allow for carbonation (secondary fermentation).

3. Once fermented and clear, sweeten with sugar and store in your chosen containers and allow for carbonation (secondary fermentation) but through trial and error you can find the correct amount of sugar to create co2, but you need to chill the cider before it ferments out all of the sugar so it retains sweetness.

4. Use DME in place of sugar for secondary as it does not 100% ferment out so leaving behind some residual sweetness.

5. Once fermented and clear, add sugar to desired sweetness, add fermentation stopper, add co2 via a SodaStream, transfer to storage bottles and cap.

6. Grow a pair and get used to dry cider ;)

Tips:
Never make any 23L kit up to full volume. Always stop at 19-21L
Add apple flavouring
If you use a SodaStream allow 2-3 minutes per bottle rest before you slowly release the pressure when taking the bottles off the SodaStream.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:58 pm

Geezah wrote:
6. Grow a pair and get used to dry cider ;)
Look on the post for `Cheap Raspberryade`.
Easy to make your own TC (Turbo Cider) from Tesco Apple Juice.
Look on this Post for loads of different recipes.
I`ve never tried a Cider Kit so I can`t comment, but making your own from Apple Juice is the way to go! :D :D
WA

afp71

Post by afp71 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:09 pm

Hahaha Geezah, I love dry cider but this was dryer than a dry thing from drysville. Anyway thank you for your advice and tips.