Pulping recommendation?

A forum for cider makers
bottles
Steady Drinker

Pulping recommendation?

Post by bottles » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:45 pm

Hi all.
Looking for everyone's experiences of pulping apples.
My garden has 12 half standard eating apples. I have made a few gallons of cider in the last few years.
I have used a few different ways of pulping the apples. Mainly borrowed or old but i have used a juicer, small woodchipper., hand powered fruit pulper.
What would you recommend for 20kg batches to be used once a week, with easy cleaning. To be used for juice or cider.
Last year it took 13hrs to process 7 gallons of juice from 100kg(?). Most of that time was cutting apples into quarters.
Or what is good for 100kg+ with one person operating?
I'm thinking of getting a cheap kitchen waste disposal system to process the apples. Is this system worth doing as they cost about £30+ second hand new.
Is the metal blade on a metal shaft in a bucket driven by a drill (£20ish) worth using? How well does it crush apples and how long does it last including the bucket.
I am happy to spend around £100 if I get the right tool. I like the look of the shark crushers but not the price tag.
What have I missed or am I after the possible?
Andrew

Kingfisher4
Piss Artist

Re: Pulping recommendation?

Post by Kingfisher4 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:58 pm

A close friend has experimented over many years with various DIY bits of kit ( he has a small orchard at the family home in Somerset) and found it very time consuming and somewhat frustrating until the village clubbed together to get a heavyweight cider apple press.

He has also found a couple of commercial places that will crush your apples for a percentage of the juice each down there. May be worth exploring dependant upon geography.

orlando
It's definitely Lock In Time
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:09 am

Have you tried searching on here? I'm sure this has come up befor and can remember a member adapting a waste disposal unit.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting: Summer Sunshine
Conditioning:
Drinking: From Russia With Love (RIS), Sweet Mild O'Mine (Reprise), All About That Bass

Up Next: Peaches, Reasons To Be Beerful
Planning: Summer drinking Beer.

bottles
Steady Drinker

Post by bottles » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:09 pm

I've searched on here but was wanting to hear from people's experiences with pulping options.
Andrew

Mjr6313
Piss Artist

Post by Mjr6313 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:02 pm

I hope the blade with drill works well last year it was a stick in a bucket hours of chopping Apples to cubes and hours of smashing with a stick. never ever ever again.
My wife wanted me to get a hobby now I make beer. She says I'm always in my shed I KEEP TELLING HER IT WAS HER IDEA.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:39 am

bottles,
Is this what you want?........
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=73075&hilit=scratter

WA

bottles
Steady Drinker

Post by bottles » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:25 pm

I have seen that post and thought it all looked good. Until he points out that the waste disposal can only grind for 45 min and causes a bottle neck in production.
This is why I was trying to go personal experiences.
Andrew