First Cider Attempt

A forum for cider makers
Ink

First Cider Attempt

Post by Ink » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:26 pm

Hi all, I'm new here, there's some great info on here.

I'm not new to brewing but haven't done it for over a decade. I have always made kit bitter with bits chucked in here and there. As I have aged and short of decent beer being available in these God forsaken chain pubs I have been drinking cider for a while.

I have bought a kit (Magnum Apple Cider) and all the relevant kit.

I have a few questions I am hoping someone can answer for me:

Having watched a couple of YouTube videos, I saw that you can add apple juice in addition to sugar, will I need to reduce the amount of sugar if I add the juice? I have 5 lts.

I have read about racking into another vessel for a second fermentation before bottling and priming. Have I got that right? I am happy to do it, I just wondered if it is necessary and what effect it can have?

Short of a second vessel would the 5ltr bottles from the water be ok? I will be keeping them for mini experiments and wine (for the ladies) anyway. I have dropped a tray with 2 full glass demijons before, not an experience I want to replicate.

The kit says to pitch the yeast at around 25-30°C. Is that not a wee bit on the warm side?

I was sort of hoping it would be ready to drink for the end of June (family get together), is that realistic assuming I start tomorrow?

I've never used an airlock (and don't have one at the moment), will that be an issue?

I'm looking forward to taking home brew up again, and sharing my first findings whether it works or not.

Any advice/input would be great.

Ink

Growler

Re: First Cider Attempt

Post by Growler » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:54 pm

Personally I would add the juice as an extra so add correct amount of sugar as well it may be slightly stronger but not much
I've never bothered with second fermentation myself and airlocks are again a personal thing some guys here never use them

Ink

Post by Ink » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:23 pm

Thanks Growler. I was thinking I would add the normal amount of sugar, thinking would would give me a bit more of a punch.

Having read some more stickys, transferring it into another vessel is just to keep the sediment away from the bottles, I think. Also to evenly mix any priming sugars/flavourings.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:44 am

Ink wrote: Having watched a couple of YouTube videos, I saw that you can add apple juice in addition to sugar, will I need to reduce the amount of sugar if I add the juice? I have 5 lts.
Typical apple juices run about 105g sugar per litre. It'll be on the carton. I would cut down the sugar the kit instruction ask for by the amount in your juice, as I feel most ciders don't have enough apple flavour to balance higher ABV.
Ink wrote: I have read about racking into another vessel for a second fermentation before bottling and priming. Have I got that right? I am happy to do it, I just wondered if it is necessary and what effect it can have?
It's not necessary if your siphoning technique is good, but it can make it a lot easier
Ink wrote:Short of a second vessel would the 5ltr bottles from the water be ok?
Yeh, they're fine.
Ink wrote:The kit says to pitch the yeast at around 25-30°C. Is that not a wee bit on the warm side?
It's a good temp for pitching, but then let it cool naturally to the more usual ferment temp of 20ish
Ink wrote:I was sort of hoping it would be ready to drink for the end of June (family get together), is that realistic assuming I start tomorrow?
About 10 weeks - My TurboCiders would be fine after that (2 to 3 weeks ferment, 4 weeks minimum conditioning). Your kit should be OK in that time frame but longer would be nice.
Ink wrote:I've never used an airlock (and don't have one at the moment), will that be an issue?
Bucket with loose lid? It'll be fine. It's not magically different to any other brew

Ink

Post by Ink » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:55 am

Thanks oldbloke. Having now read ALOT of the Other Brew threads, you seem to be the Oracle on these things. Brilliant.

Ink

Post by Ink » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:37 am

Got the brew on last night... Finally. Just checked it this morning after 12 hours and it had that familiar smell of yeast doing its work-lovely!

I was a little disappointed with the cider kit to be honest, it tasted just like apple squash. I think it will be the last time I shill out for a cider kit again when I have read so many threads on here about TC.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:34 pm

Ink wrote:Got the brew on last night... Finally. Just checked it this morning after 12 hours and it had that familiar smell of yeast doing its work-lovely!

I was a little disappointed with the cider kit to be honest, it tasted just like apple squash. I think it will be the last time I shill out for a cider kit again when I have read so many threads on here about TC.
Hello Ink,
Oldbloke is indeed the Oracle! You won`t go far wrong with TC!
I`ve just drunk a bottle of Churchwards Mixed Berry Cider 4% and it is not a patch on any of my TCs :D :D
Keep reading the threads for TC on `Other Brews`, there is loads of good info on there.
WA

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:10 am

I point out that what I've posted is the distilled wisdom of many people. I learnt all I know about TC from people both here and in the other place, most of whom have been making the stuff far longer than me.

Ink

Post by Ink » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:14 am

Yesterday, after 12-24 hours it looked like there were bubbles clinging to the inside of the FV, which I take to be an encouraging sign. My previous FVs were thicker and I couldn't see in from the side.
My concern is, I have come down this morning and all the bubbles are gone. Is this normal?
The temperature has been steady (21-22) so far and it looks like it should from the top.
Am I just panicking because I'm out of practice?

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:07 pm

Ink wrote:Yesterday, after 12-24 hours it looked like there were bubbles clinging to the inside of the FV, which I take to be an encouraging sign. My previous FVs were thicker and I couldn't see in from the side.
My concern is, I have come down this morning and all the bubbles are gone. Is this normal?
The temperature has been steady (21-22) so far and it looks like it should from the top.
Am I just panicking because I'm out of practice?
Ink,
Sounds OK to me. Leave it alone for 2 weeks and it should be fine.
WA

Ink

Post by Ink » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:31 pm

2 weeks? Is that not a bit long sitting on the lees? Would I be better transferring it to another FV?

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:42 pm

Ink wrote:2 weeks? Is that not a bit long sitting on the lees? Would I be better transferring it to another FV?
Ink,
I`ve always left mine for 2 weeks in the same FV, never had a problem. After 2 weeks I transfer to another FV for batch priming then bottling.
WA

Ink

Post by Ink » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:47 pm

I was just being wildly paranoid! It's been so long since I have brewed and I started with something I'm not that familiar with.

The more I read on here, the less terrified I'll be of it being pants.

Reading the other brews thread is really making me want to make wine and cider out of really odd things.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:33 pm

Ink wrote:2 weeks? Is that not a bit long sitting on the lees? Would I be better transferring it to another FV?
2 weeks is nowt.
While there's sugar for the yeast to eat it won't start getting funny with the crud, and it's not really a problem with cider anyway.
Once all the sugar's gone, if you're not bottling straight away it's worth racking, but otherwise don't bother.

Ink

Post by Ink » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:48 am

When would be a good time to add the flavouring liquid?