Cider from apple juice

A forum for cider makers
Trevs

Cider from apple juice

Post by Trevs » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:22 pm

Someone has given me a recipe for making a gallon of cider from apple juice using 4 litres apple juice, cider yeast, sugar, pectolase and nutrient. I have started it off and it's fermenting well. The instructions say to add the apple juice at a rate of 1 litre a day, rather than all at once, because this apparently improves the flavour. I would welcome opinions on this please.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Re: Cider from apple juice

Post by oldbloke » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:11 pm

This is TurboCider. Lots of threads about it on all the homebrew forums.
Almost anything works, but for future experiments, check:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=66468

I usually stick 3l of AJ and half a litre of SomethingElse in at the start, the last litre of AJ on day5.
Never bother with pectolase. 1tsp powdered tannin per gallon.
It comes out very dry, I now add 1 to 2 tsp artificial sweetener per gallon.
Oh and I never add sugar - it's over 5% anyway. That's enough!

Trevs

Post by Trevs » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:31 pm

Thanks for that link, it is very interesting and explanatory. I didn't realise "Turbo Cider" was just cider from apple juice...from the name I assumed it was a fast-fermenting strong cider.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:43 pm

Trevs wrote:Thanks for that link, it is very interesting and explanatory. I didn't realise "Turbo Cider" was just cider from apple juice...from the name I assumed it was a fast-fermenting strong cider.
It's the brewday that's turbo, not the ferment or the ABV. Though it usually does ferment fairly quickly, and you can make it sillystrong if you want. Perhaps it needs a better name, but I guess it's too late now

jacobyeah

Post by jacobyeah » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Been lurking for a while and usually find all info I need through searching (many thanks to all).

I have a question regarding a Tc I plan to make (my first). I work in a bar and have access to very good quality kentish, award winning juice I plan to use. It will probably cost me about twice as much as a value apple juice, about £1.05 a liter.
Its cox and Bramley apple juice with added vitC. My question is as it contains Bramley apples already do you think I should still add black tea for tannins?

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:07 pm

jacobyeah wrote:Been lurking for a while and usually find all info I need through searching (many thanks to all).

I have a question regarding a Tc I plan to make (my first). I work in a bar and have access to very good quality kentish, award winning juice I plan to use. It will probably cost me about twice as much as a value apple juice, about £1.05 a liter.
Its cox and Bramley apple juice with added vitC. My question is as it contains Bramley apples already do you think I should still add black tea for tannins?
Your juice sounds nice, though it may end up a bit sharp.
Bramleys will give you malic acid, but won't give you much tannin, so I'd still add the tannin powder or a strong mug of tea.

In real west-country cider they use special cider apples that have loads of (mouth-puckering) tannin.

Good luck with your TC.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:38 pm

There are commercial ciders that use just Kentish apples IIRC. Without the tannin it'll be a softer drink but could be good.

My very first TC didn't have tannin (it was rub compared to the ones I do now) and t'missus immediately said we could stop buying commercial cider, except the really good stuff.

I'd taste the juice and then decide, and would probably decide to add a bit

jacobyeah

Post by jacobyeah » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Black tea it is then. Thanks

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:44 am

oldbloke wrote:There are commercial ciders that use just Kentish apples IIRC. Without the tannin it'll be a softer drink but could be good.

My very first TC didn't have tannin (it was rub compared to the ones I do now) and t'missus immediately said we could stop buying commercial cider, except the really good stuff.

I'd taste the juice and then decide, and would probably decide to add a bit
I've heard same thing about Kentish / Eastern cider. I checked on the Aspell's (Suffolk) site and was surprised to see that they use some bittersweet (cider) apples in their ciders. Bittersweets and bittersharps contain lots of tannin (and flavour).
http://www.aspall.co.uk/cyder?product=premier-cru
Apple Variety
Bittersweet, Dessert & Culinary
from http://www.aspall.co.uk/how-to-make-cyder
All Aspall cyders are blended, taking the attributes from a variety of apples to make a truly well balanced cider. Dessert apples for sweetness and elegance, cooking apples for acidity and apple aroma and bittersweet apples give a heady perfume, body and depth of finish.
I agree that a TC even made with plain apple juice will still be better than most commercial ciders that use ~ 35% apple juice and bulk out with sugar syrup.
I use 4 tea bags stewed with boiling water for 15 mins in a 1pt mug for a 5gal batch of TC.