Bulldog strawberry and lime. Questions.

A forum for cider makers
B9393

Bulldog strawberry and lime. Questions.

Post by B9393 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:15 am

I'm going to start a batch of this cider next week and have a few questions.

I don't have an airlock but I've made beer and just left the lid on loose and when fermentation calms down crack the seal on properly. Will I get away with this for cider to. My beer never got infected and is tasting ok and is getting better as days go by. I wouldn't wanna chance exploding a lid off fermentor if I sealed it.

Also is it a bad idea to reduce the pints down to 32 instead if 40 to raise the ABV?

And has anyone tried this kit and what did they think?

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Bulldog strawberry and lime. Questions.

Post by WalesAles » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:14 am

Hello B9393,
I`ve never made a kit cider so I can`t comment!
I just make TC with Apple Juice and syrups. I don`t use airlocks, if I use a 5Lt water bottle I unscrew the cap fully, then just put it back on 1/4 turn.If I use an FV for 20Lt batches I snap the lid around shut 90% of the lid.
I made 2 diff brews on Fri in 5Lt bottles, loose lids etc, went in the Brewery (Front Room) yesterday to check on something else and there was a strange sound coming from somewhere as if a gas pipe had been left open! Searched around, followed the sound, lifted the Duvet covering the 2 bottles and they were fermenting away merrily making one hell of a noise! Put the Duvet back over them, let them get on with it! Worse thing was, I had to explain to MrsAles why her Front Room is noisy and smelly (smells nice to me)! :D
The 2 tcs are Rhubarb and peach, and Cucumber and Mint! :D
Yes! By all means reduce the volume and tell us the results! :D :D :twisted: :twisted:
WA