First time cider maker, help with bottles?

A forum for cider makers
Saz2696

First time cider maker, help with bottles?

Post by Saz2696 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:29 pm

Hello everyone,
I've just started making my own cider. I was given a "make your own cider kit" for my birthday and started it last night. Everything's looking good at the moment, the place I'm storing seems to be around 25C. My problem is with the glass bottles I was planning on bottling my cider in. I've been saving up the Westons Scrumpy 2l glass demijohn type bottles with the screw lids for a while, we have 10. But now I'm not so sure these are suitable with the screw lid? Does anyone use these and what do they use in the top?
I am also going to buy some grolshc swing top beers tonight as they on offer at asda and use some of these but would really like to use these demijohns aswell.
Any help would be gratefully received.
Thanks

oldbloke
Under the Table

Re: First time cider maker, help with bottles?

Post by oldbloke » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:02 pm

The screwcaps ought to be good for at least a few uses, if they haven't been mistreated. Make sure to sanitise them, obv.
Any bottle that had a carbonated drink in will do. I happen to have a big collection of Crabbies bottles and use them. But then you need a capper of course.

jmc
Even further under the Table

Re: First time cider maker, help with bottles?

Post by jmc » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:51 pm

Saz2696 wrote:Hello everyone,
I've just started making my own cider. I was given a "make your own cider kit" for my birthday and started it last night. Everything's looking good at the moment, the place I'm storing seems to be around 25C. My problem is with the glass bottles I was planning on bottling my cider in. I've been saving up the Westons Scrumpy 2l glass demijohn type bottles with the screw lids for a while, we have 10. But now I'm not so sure these are suitable with the screw lid? Does anyone use these and what do they use in the top?
I am also going to buy some grolshc swing top beers tonight as they on offer at asda and use some of these but would really like to use these demijohns aswell.
Any help would be gratefully received.
Thanks
I'm not sure the 2L scrumpy bottles can store highly carbonated cider.

Grolsch bottles are great. They hold pressure and easy to seal / reuse.

2L pet bottles are fine and are a safe bet for a 1st batch if you're not sure about level of carbonation you'll get.
cheapest are from value water
eg
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-pr ... er_2L.html
Value lemonade 17p/2L
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/ ... =253654443

BTW: No need for dark bottles with cider.