Yeast for Cider

A forum for cider makers
Jambo
Hollow Legs

Yeast for Cider

Post by Jambo » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:23 pm

I'm trying to take some yeasty lessons from last year into my cider making this year. My thoughts are as follows:

- I've started using liquid yeasts for beer lately and the difference is amazing - could the same help my cider? I think so.
- Which yeast strain? Some interesting reading here: http://www.whitelabs.com/cider
I don't have any WLP002 currently but I have some WY1318 which I had hoped might be the same but actually WY1968 is the equivalent aparrently. Reckon it would do anyway?
- Last year's cider had strong sulphur odours which took a while to dissipate. My second batch to which I added yeast nutrient had less, so probably I should do more of this. Maybe the below will help too...
- Last year I had to pitch loads of sachets of dried yeast before anything would happen. Liquid yeast, nutrient, and starters should fix this I think? In the interests of hygiene and not really caring about flavour, would it make sense to boil the apple juice that one was planning to use for a starter?

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

jmc
Even further under the Table

Re: Yeast for Cider

Post by jmc » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:10 pm

Last year I used a mix of WLP002 and slurry from Old Rosie.

I was happy with results but still a bit acidic as I tend to get more cookers than ideal in the mix of apples I use.

This year I'm using Lalvin 71B as discussed in the Cider Workshop
Oenological properties and applications
The 71B strain is a rapid starter with a constant and complete fermentation between 15° and 30°C (59° and 86°F) that has the ability to metabolize high amounts (20% to 40%) of malic acid. In addition to producing rounder, smoother, more aromatic wines that tend to mature quickly, it does not extract a great deal of phenols from the must so the maturation time is further decreased.
I made a starter 3 days ago. Within 2 hours it had a 1cm head!
I stepped it up yesterday and had to place it in fermenting fridge at 16C to slow it down.

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:47 pm

Thanks JMC! Is that just freshly pressed apple juice in your starter with no treatment?

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:51 pm

I like a combination of Red Star Cote Des Blanc and D-47

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:07 am

Fantastic reading on the 71B that you posted JMC, it's acid attenuating abilities are something that hadn't even crossed my mind. Like you, I have access to an abundance of cookers so this sounds like a winner. My brew was too acidic last year.

jmc

Post by jmc » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:13 am

Jambo wrote:Thanks JMC! Is that just freshly pressed apple juice in your starter with no treatment?
The starter just contained 1L Tesco value AJ + the yeast, no nutrient or anything else.

I also got some potassium carbonate last year to help reduce the malic acid a touch.
Potassium carbonate is supposed to leave less after taste than calcium carbonate which can taste a bit 'chalky' (unsurprisingly)

I didn't use any carbonate in the end, as it does smooth out a bit on its own in time.

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:53 pm

Thanks again JMC!

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:55 am

A couple of months ago I brewed a 1 1/2 gallon batch of 1.060 coconut cider that turned out great. I fermented it with Muntons regular yeast. F G was 0.998.
I'm just here for the beer.

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:49 pm

Made up a couple of starters with this Lalvin yeast and nothing is happening after a couple of days. It's real apple juice, mostly from cookers.

I put a crushed campden tablet in each 1L starter for 24 hrs before adding the yeast. Also some pectolase. Then hydrated and pitched the yeast.

Nothing really doing after 48 hrs, added a wee bit of yeast nutrient, will see how it's doing tonight...

ciderhead
Piss Artist

Post by ciderhead » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:38 pm

last year I brewed 25L with 002 and 028 based on the article, for the first 6 months there was definitely a beer taste but disapated after time. The 028 came second in a comp and judges did pick up "something different" from it
It was a great experiment and happy I did it but back to WLP Champagne and English cider yeast going forward.

jmc

Post by jmc » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:36 am

Jambo wrote:Made up a couple of starters with this Lalvin yeast and nothing is happening after a couple of days. It's real apple juice, mostly from cookers.

I put a crushed campden tablet in each 1L starter for 24 hrs before adding the yeast. Also some pectolase. Then hydrated and pitched the yeast.

Nothing really doing after 48 hrs, added a wee bit of yeast nutrient, will see how it's doing tonight...
I think you may have added too much sulphite. I added 1cc of 5% campden per L to my AJ.

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:39 am

I think you might be right JMC. I'll dilute it down a bit with some apple juice.

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:29 am

That didn't really help so have pitched some more yeast. I had understood that the sulphite was supposed to come out of solution after a little while anyway? It must be well over a week now...

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:14 pm

Jambo wrote:That didn't really help so have pitched some more yeast. I had understood that the sulphite was supposed to come out of solution after a little while anyway? It must be well over a week now...
1 whole crushie seems a little on the heavy side to use per litre :shock:
Have you taken hydrometer readings to verify that there hasn't been any fermentation?
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

jmc

Post by jmc » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:14 pm

Jambo wrote:That didn't really help so have pitched some more yeast. I had understood that the sulphite was supposed to come out of solution after a little while anyway? It must be well over a week now...
You're right it does eventually, but it probably killed the yeast you added initially, so good idea to add more yeast.
Have you checked your SG?