Carbonating and Back Sweetening.

A forum for cider makers
Jaxteller15

Carbonating and Back Sweetening.

Post by Jaxteller15 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:32 am

Hi 2 questions here.

I bought a packet of Coopers carbonation drops which state on the packet something along the lines of 1 drop per 378ml or 2 drops per 748ml. I have 500ml bottles so would either be under or over carbonating :(

Also before I bottle it if I want it a bit sweeter can someone explain to me how to back sweeting without again over carbonating.

Thanks

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Carbonating and Back Sweetening.

Post by Sadfield » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:58 am

You could pre-dissolve the carbonation drops at a rate of 1.5 drops per bottle and add a measured portion of the solution to each bottle.

I have never tried it myself, but adding lactose at bottling would sweeten without fermenting out.

Sorry, ignore my post, didn't notice this was cider (using tapatalk on mobile, thread heading was missing/hidden). Doh!
Last edited by Sadfield on Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

basswulf
Piss Artist

Post by basswulf » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:03 am

My experience of cider making (admittedly at the rustic end of the spectrum) has been that it doesn't need any extra help to carbonate in the bottles. I think it takes a long time for all the fermentable sugars to be used up and so I'd be cautious about adding anything extra to the bottles or certainly steer on the low side.

Wulf

Jaxteller15

Post by Jaxteller15 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:07 pm

basswulf wrote:My experience of cider making (admittedly at the rustic end of the spectrum) has been that it doesn't need any extra help to carbonate in the bottles. I think it takes a long time for all the fermentable sugars to be used up and so I'd be cautious about adding anything extra to the bottles or certainly steer on the low side.

Wulf
Maybe the 1 drop per bottle would suffice then.

It's a bulldog kit I'm using if that makes any difference?

Thanks

Jaxteller15

Post by Jaxteller15 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:08 pm

Sadfield wrote:You could pre-dissolve the carbonation drops at a rate of 1.5 drops per bottle and add a measured portion of the solution to each bottle.

I have never tried it myself, but adding lactose at bottling would sweeten without fermenting out.

Sorry, ignore my post, didn't notice this was cider (using tapatalk on mobile, thread heading was missing/hidden). Doh!
So the dissolving method is not suitable for cider?

By lactose would that be stevia etc?

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:58 pm

Ignore, as I don't know whether it may or may not be applicable to cider, as I was looking at it from an ale point of view. Using standard ale yeasts to ferment dextrose.

Lactose is sugar found in milk, and is not fermented by ale yeast, often used in stout as a sweetener, hence the term Milk Stout.

Not my area, just sticking around out of curiosity, but...

What yeast are you using? and what is the base of your cider? Juice from whole fruit, store bought juice or a kit?

Jaxteller15

Post by Jaxteller15 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:13 pm

It's a Bulldog Strawberry and Lime kit

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:28 pm

This will need priming then, I'd go with 1.5 drops per bottle, whether that is by dissolving or just cutting the things in half.