Thick krausen not moving

A forum for cider makers
sonicated
Hollow Legs

Thick krausen not moving

Post by sonicated » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:36 pm

I've only ever brewed 1 gallon batches of cider before but I currently have 19 litres in my FV with US-05 yeast. It's been there for 12 days and has gone from 1044 to 1010, however there is still a thick, pasty krausen on top:

I took a sample to test the gravity and it tasted a bit sweet so I expect there is some more fermentation to go but I just don't think this krausen is going to drop.

I was planning on putting it in the garage for a week or two to let it clear before putting it in a corny keg. Is this krausen likely to drop in the cold or should I attempt to skim it off or stir it in? If I am going to meddle with it I would prefer to do it sooner rather than later so it will still produce some carbon dioxide to protect it from the air.

Any advice appreciated!

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Thick krausen not moving

Post by orlando » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:43 am

sonicated wrote:I've only ever brewed 1 gallon batches of cider before but I currently have 19 litres in my FV with US-05 yeast. It's been there for 12 days and has gone from 1044 to 1010, however there is still a thick, pasty krausen on top:

I took a sample to test the gravity and it tasted a bit sweet so I expect there is some more fermentation to go but I just don't think this krausen is going to drop.

I was planning on putting it in the garage for a week or two to let it clear before putting it in a corny keg. Is this krausen likely to drop in the cold or should I attempt to skim it off or stir it in? If I am going to meddle with it I would prefer to do it sooner rather than later so it will still produce some carbon dioxide to protect it from the air.

Any advice appreciated!
My limited experience is leave it alone until Spring, you're looking for a malolactic fermentation to occur and that happens, if at all, much later.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

sonicated
Hollow Legs

Post by sonicated » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:33 am

Thanks for your help - I had hoped this turbo cider would have been ready before spring!

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lord groan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:59 pm

Looks OK
My cider drops to 1000 or less so I'd wait a bit longer before you start to worry.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:58 pm

sonicated wrote:Thanks for your help - I had hoped this turbo cider would have been ready before spring!
Agh, sorry thought it was the real thing, ignore all that.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

sonicated
Hollow Legs

Post by sonicated » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:45 pm

Thanks for the advice - it's still not there but looking a lot better this evening!