first attempt at cider, how much yeast per 5 gallon

A forum for cider makers
Dave.T
Steady Drinker

first attempt at cider, how much yeast per 5 gallon

Post by Dave.T » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:40 pm

Hello, had a bumper crop of apples this year shame to waste them, managed to press 10 gallons of juice. I used a 5g sachet of yeast per 5 gal but a slow start so far compared to what i am used to with all grain. Any advice appreciated.

Dave

oldbloke
Under the Table

Re: first attempt at cider, how much yeast per 5 gallon

Post by oldbloke » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:32 pm

That's about right, though a bit extra wouldn't hurt. But apples aren't great on nutrients, so maybe chuck some in - I use good old diammonium phosphate, but if you prefer Trozonomyl or whatever, fine. Which yeast, by the way? With turbocider, pretty much anything seems to take off ok (with some nutrient) but with real apples I'm not sure.

Dave.T
Steady Drinker

Post by Dave.T » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:36 am

Thanks for the reply, i used a Young's cider yeast in one and Young's all purpose white wine yeast in the other. Is it ok to add the nutrient a couple of days in.
Dave

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:13 am

Yeh.

Crastney
Steady Drinker

Post by Crastney » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:20 am

as far as I know, beer is made with yeast in vast quantities (billions), and fermentation takes off quickly, and takes about 10 days in total. You can do this with cider, but usually a 5g sachet for on 5 gallon DJ is enough, and it takes a bit longer to start, is less vigorous, and can take weeks, if not months to finish completely. Keep it under air lock, and it'll be fine. traditionally it was left outside, or in barn lofts, it often froze over winter, and in the spring thawed out and started fermenting again. leave it be, it'll be fine.

FULLERS
Tippler

Post by FULLERS » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:06 am

Dont add yeast, produces IMO boring ciders and Perry, for the last 5 tears pressed on average 300 gallons a year on a restored twin Victorian press, scrat 24 hours before pressing and add nothing. Natural fermentation will start within 24 hours.