Mead that is refusing to clear!

For those making mead and related drinks
leedsbrew

Mead that is refusing to clear!

Post by leedsbrew » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:43 pm

The Mrs and I have done a rhubarb and strawberry mead. It has fermented and been racked twice. I forgot to put pectolase in before fermentation so it is very cloudy. I've added 2 tsp of pectolase last week and a further two this week and the bugger still wont clear! Any suggestions!

Cheers

LB

gti1x
Piss Artist

Re: Mead that is refusing to clear!

Post by gti1x » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:43 pm

Haven't done this recipe, but in general three approaches:

1) put up with it and drink it (my approach, but I'm guessing not what you want)
2) wait longer, particularly if kept cold - cheap but may not work
3) use wine finings (available from your LHBS) these will remove +vely and -vely charged particles that may be causing the haze. It is usual to use two things (commonly chitosan and kiesosol - or C&K) one for each charge. I think that you need to use these in a specific order, but I'm not sure, never having used them except in kits where I just follow the instructions.

Hope this helps

GTI
Drinking: Kriek (cherry beer); prohibition coconut rum; Davey's Best Bitter 2 (AG); TC; Mead; Gorse Wine; Darwin's summer ale; Apple wine
Conditioning: Grape wine 2009 & 2010; Pomegranate and cherry wine
Brewing: Vinojay (orange wine); Vino de tavola - rosso
Planning: Newton's Porter
Gone but not forgotten: Mead; Framboos (Kit); Gorse wine;

danbrew

Post by danbrew » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:29 pm

gti1x wrote:
3) use wine finings (available from your LHBS) these will remove +vely and -vely charged particles that may be causing the haze. It is usual to use two things (commonly chitosan and kiesosol - or C&K) one for each charge. I think that you need to use these in a specific order, but I'm not sure, never having used them except in kits where I just follow the instructions.

AND - make sure it is degassed. Take a litre out of the DJ and put your had over the top and give it a damn good shake until it doesn't fizz any more. The dissolved CO2 from the long ferment will prevent clearing (sometimes even if you have added finings).

Careful with the first couple of shakes... It can go a bit mental...

fatbloke

Post by fatbloke » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:41 pm

If you have the space, then cold crash it........ put it in the fridge for a week......

That often works.....

regards

fatbloke

leedsbrew

Post by leedsbrew » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:05 pm

Old thread resurrection allert! :D

Found some bottles of this in the shed last night so cracked one!

Crystal clear, and had refermented in the bottle! I could drink this till the cows come home!

second2none

Post by second2none » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:28 pm

What did you do? Just forget about it?
Thankfor for the feedback, Can I have a bottle? lol

leedsbrew

Post by leedsbrew » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:49 pm

ha ha! there's only a couple left! to be honest, I'm surprised they haven't popped their corks. Wasn't expecting it to carbonate so bottled them in wine bottles.

Yeah, we just banged them in the garage/shed and forgot about them! only did 1G but with it tasting this good we're gonna get 5G on to mature over winter ready for next summer! :D

fatbloke

Post by fatbloke » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:37 pm

midey perdy lookin boi !

danbrew

Post by danbrew » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:59 pm

It seems to have a nasty habit of refermenting if you don't sorbate/ sulphite correctly... I learnt the hard way!

It is lovely sparkling though, I know exactly what you mean! Pyment is lovely too and would seem to be good to do in beer bottles or a spare corny... 2l grape juice and a 2lb jar of cheap honey per gallon. Needs about 6 months to a year but really nice...!

Cpt.Frederickson
Hollow Legs

Post by Cpt.Frederickson » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:28 pm

Looks bloody lovely. I've got a few meads on the go at the moment and have been toying with the idea of carbonating one, probably one of the raspberry ones. Looks like ageing is the key though, 9 months plus is the way to go I reckon. And being careful not let those bottles you've got get warm...BANG!
The Hand of Doom Brewery and Meadery
Fermenting -
Conditioning - Meads - Raspberry Melomel yeast test, Vanilla Cinnamon Metheglyn, Orange Melomel.
Drinking - Youngs AAA Kit; Leatherwood Traditional Mead, Cyser, Ginger Metheglyn.
Planning - Some kits until I can get back to AG, then a hoppy porter, Jim's ESB, some American Red.