For those making mead and related drinks
- It's definitely Lock In Time
- Posts: 6821
- Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:24 am
- Location: Tampa, Florida, USA
steviebobs83 wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:51 pm
I've lobbed in 3 jars of Lidl honey and a jar of homemade redcurrant jelly into a 5l bottle of Morrisons mineral water with a balloon for an airlock and 3/4 of a packet of out of date lalvin champagne yeast. Got it to around 1.083 OG
My guess: you won't notice any contribution from the redcurrant jelly except for colour and a bit of tannin.
Lalvin Champagne yeast is always a good choice. I guess it was active enough even though it was out of date.
Anyway, I think it will taste good.
If you bottle it and wait a month, I think it will carbonate without priming sugar. I think they're will be sufficient unfermented sugars left.
tart cherry melomel, ~11% abv
"X", Canadian-style blond ale. 5.7%, 28 BU
Peach melomel ~9.5%
1. "Old 11-ish", ginger braggot. ~11% abv
2. "Khamsa", ancient ale. Barley malt, wheat malt, kamut, dates, and honey. 1.064-1.010, 7.1%, 27 BU