Good Bitter recipe

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
monk

Good Bitter recipe

Post by monk » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:00 am

I know this must be very vague for you all, but in the US we don't have a very wide selection of ales in the "bitter" category, save for a couple called "ESBs". Would anyone like to offer me a great recipe for a tasty English bitter?

(I have 6 lbs. of liquid pale malt extract syrup which I'd like to use...)

Thanks guys.

Monk

monk

Post by monk » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:10 pm

Thanks DAAB. I love Fuller's! If I could make something similar I would be quite happy.

All that brown sugar, huh? Is that normal brown cane sugar?

monk

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:31 pm

Fullers ESB was my second all-grain recipe and it turned out great. My recipe is slightly different. A little sweet though, I would add a little more bittering hops and mash lower if I did it again:

5 Imp gallons (6 US gallons)

Pale ale malt (maris otter): 9.5Lb
Flaked Maize: 1.2Lb
Crystal 40L: 14.4oz
Amber malt: 2.5oz
Aromatic malt: 2.5oz
Mashed at 67C
--
Target (whole): 0.75oz - 60 mins (would up this to an ounce)
Challenger: 0.75oz - 15mins
Northdown: 0.75oz - 10mins
EK Goldings: 1oz - 1min
--
White Labs London Ale yeast.
OG: 1.056 ~44IBU

Apart from that I tend to do my bitters around the 1.040 mark with just pale ale malt, a pound of crystal and half a pound of brown sugar. Then about 20-30 IBU's of bittering and half an ounce of flavour hops. Usually Fuggles & Goldings.

BlightyBrewer

Post by BlightyBrewer » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:40 pm

I brewed an Irish Stout from Dave Line's book that used soft dark brown sugar, and it gave a hint of caramel to balance out the fuggles hops. Worked a treat!

monk

Post by monk » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:33 pm

Awesome! I can't wait to try it out. I'll admit, I made one "fuller's" clone that was put together by a homebrew shop, but it didn't match, to my taste. Also, I believe I fermented at too low a temp ~17C (~63F) and that affected the taste as well (absolutely no hint of esters). I think I'll try to dial in the ferment at about 68 if possible. Wish me luck, or say a prayer for the Monk's ale! :)

Bigster

Post by Bigster » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:45 pm

QUOTE Bigster cant seem to stop making them 
A few of the guys have tried his Greene King Abbot recipe and gave good feed back.

Certainly is a great book - already thinking of the next brew :lol:

One thing I have noticed , particularly with the Abbot which was great, is to be careful with the roast barley. I think I will cut down a tad, and perhaps only add at sparge stage instead of at start of mash or maybe 50/50.

monk

Post by monk » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:02 am

has anyone read the book, Pale Ale, by Terry Foster?

I'm pumped about it! I just recently cut down on the priming sugar I use, and have enjoyed my latest brew because of it. I think the overcarbing was masking the flavor (maybe you guys were right all along!).

He has the simplest recipes in his book. I'm amazed but very interested in trying them.

BlightyBrewer

Post by BlightyBrewer » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:00 am

....a tad enthused! :lol: Sometimes us Brits get mildly excited, but certainly not in company!

Also, the tastes for the degree of carbonation depends on whether you come from the North (good head on the pint) or South (little head on the pint) of the UK (if you want to use that whole tar brush).

In fact, where does this trend originate from? Anyone?

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:55 pm

Hi, Monk, glad to see someone else from accross the pond who wants to try British style ales! B)

I couldn't agree more about over-carbonation and chilling - it's a great way to remove the flavour! :lol: Good luck with your brew.

BlightyBrewer

Post by BlightyBrewer » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:08 pm

QUOTE (Daft as a Brush @ Aug 5 2006, 09:09 AM) Its a bit like that bl00dy puff pastry though you get on a nasty pub steak and ale pie, you've got to get past the cr@p to get to the good stuff :bonk
I couldn't agree more DaaB. I can't stand puff pastry style steak and ale pies. It should be illegal to serve them!

Give me shortcrust pastry will big chunks of steak and thick gravy any day. :D

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:43 pm

4 inches of puff pastry on top of pub steak pies - my pet hate also! :angry:

monk

Post by monk » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:49 pm

Ah...the pressure barrels. One reason I found this forum in the first place was in order to figure out what the heck those things were. I've been really wanting to have my ale (or part of it) on tap, but can't really find a solution I like. The biggest reason is that I lack the fridge space to cool the ale, whether it be in a pressure barrel or corny keg. On top of that, corny keg systems are out of my price range at this point. I'd like a pressure barrel that's about 1 gallon...do they make those?

I guess it's like a lot of homebrewing desires: you want it even though you don't need it. :P I bottle condition my ale and put it in the freezer for about 25 min before I drink it. In that time it becomes cool but not too cold.