Pliny The Elder clone

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
adm

Re: Pliny The Elder clone

Post by adm » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:37 pm

Whorst wrote:I got a pdf file of it off the net. I believe it's from Vinnie at Russian River.
That'll work!

pokerswazi

Post by pokerswazi » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:16 pm

I have just found this same recipe (identical) in the July/August issue of Zymurgy and am also keen to give it a go. It is a mountain of hops though and when I plug it into my brewing software it is coming in at calculated IBU of around 230 (The recipe does state that the IBU's measured at 90-95?) Will be far and away the biggest hop bomb I ever brewed.
Has anyone tried the finished product yet, home brewed that is?

pantsmachine

Post by pantsmachine » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:30 am

That's weird i was dithering between an elder or younger type beer as a future brew. Very much looking forward to hearing about the results of this one! ANy idea when you'll be brewing it?

pokerswazi

Post by pokerswazi » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:07 am

I don't have fermentation temp control so it will be a while before I get to this one. I haven't ever had the real thing either but hoping to find it at the GBBF. The hops might be hard to find in the UK but I've only had a quick look.

pantsmachine

Post by pantsmachine » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:11 am

You can get most of the hops through the shortcuts on my post.

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:10 pm

Not sure if he'll ship to the UK, but this guy sells a "Pliny Pack" packaged by addition time. A US forum (homebrewtalk) has good things to say about it.

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com
Johnny Clueless was there
With his simulated wood grain

Whorst

Post by Whorst » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:06 pm

pantsmachine wrote:That's weird i was dithering between an elder or younger type beer as a future brew. Very much looking forward to hearing about the results of this one! ANy idea when you'll be brewing it?
Hopefully soon. I've got a Russian Imperial Stout to brew for Thanksgiving. After that, it's all systems go for the Pliny clone.