has anyone got a smoked ipa recipe?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
baskahalpa

has anyone got a smoked ipa recipe?

Post by baskahalpa » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:30 am

Hi, I'm looking for a good smoked ipa recipe, and also any thoughts and hints would he helpful. How does the hop flavor work with the smoked malt? I'm really keen to try brew one!

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Re: has anyone got a smoked ipa recipe?

Post by scuppeteer » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:49 pm

Try St Peters Whisky beer first (was available in Waitrose), if you like that then have a go. Not my choice of malts, but everyone likes something different.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:03 pm

Not so sure that would work. Smoked malt seems to be a funny beast that needs a really clean malty platform to shine. Too much bitterness, hop flavour/aroma or yeast character and the smoke may get lost in a muddy tasting beer.

That said, there's only one way to find out, so I'd recommend taking a nice looking IPA recipe and subbing around 30% of the pale malt for smoked. Remember the smokiness between maltsters varies a fair bit and use a clean yeast like us05 or wlp001. Smoke also seems to suit darker beers so perhaps try a black IPA?

baskahalpa

Post by baskahalpa » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:38 pm

Ok great, thanks for that. I was heading that way, I'm going for a tried and tested ipa brew that i know is good and substituting some pale with the smoked, the dark idea is good, I might add some....I'll keep you updated. Sunday brewday!

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:16 am

Any progress to feedback on the smoked black IPA??