Belgium Beers

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Bigster

Belgium Beers

Post by Bigster » Wed May 03, 2006 11:13 pm

Beer tasting evening at my wine club tonight - fantastic:

Dentergems Wheat beer 5%
Bellevue Kriek 5.1% - Cherry Infused beer
Karmeliet Tripel 8%
Hercule Stout 8.4% - Soft and fruity
St Bernadus 10% - abbey beer :stun
Gulden Draakl -10.5% - abbey beer :stun

Not really tried this before but was very impressed with all of them. Have any of you guys tried these or better still cloned them?

tribs

Post by tribs » Thu May 04, 2006 12:12 am

Yep, those are some of my favourite Belgians.

I have recipes for Karmeliet (The best beligan tripel imo) and Hercule Stout from Beer Captured and Gulden Draak from Clone Brews. I've not tried any yet but I plan to brew some Belgians later in the year.

I'm going over there in June :) and I'll be bringing back a fair few bottles. I've still got a few left over from last year including a St Bernadus 10.

My favourite Belgian is Abbaye de Rocs and the Liefmanns Kriek and Framboise are far superior to any other fruit beer I have tasted.

bod

Post by bod » Fri May 05, 2006 10:15 am

i used to do a lot of fruit beers for the wife, but taking the stones of of 3 kilos of cherries was a right royal pain in the ass!!! i'll see if i can find the recipe for you if you like.

Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Post by Reg » Fri May 05, 2006 10:26 am

I think Graham Wheeler has some Belgian-alikes, as does Dave Line. :D

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Fri May 05, 2006 10:40 am

Daab kindly found me this recipe for http://www.homewinemaking.co.uk/cgi/yab ... ;start=9#9 on another forum.

I did a bit of research, and you can get all the ingredients at Hop and Grape (apart from Belgian Two Row Pilsner malt, but can't see why you couldn't use some other pale/pilsner malt). I have yet to make it, but will do at some point (probably after I reach a stage when I'm happy with my AG bitters).

If anyone has a go at making it, let me know how it turns out. I know very little about Belgian Beers, but Leffe is fantastic IMO :beer

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Mon May 29, 2006 7:46 pm

I just saw this recipe for Leffe. I really fancy trying it.

For anyone else giving it a go it's worth baring in mind that belgian candi sugar is basically just sucrose, I.E. table sugar.

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:52 pm

Here is a http://www.franklinbrew.org/brewinfo/candi_sugar.html which tells you how to make belgian candi sugar, if you are feeling adventurous.

I made up a brewferm belgian beer kit a while ago ('Grand Cru') and used raw cane (ie brown) sugar which my girlfriend bought back from france. As far as I can tell it was just brown sugar. I tried a bottle at a bbq I held over the weekend. It had been maturing for about a month, when it really needs twice that period. I was also a bit, ahem, 'tired' when I had it, if you get my drift, but it wasn't bad.

I also broke out my HB bitter when the deuchars ran out :beer - one a made with just goldings, and people seemed to quite like it - to the extent that they voluntarily drank it (there was other stuff to drink). This is my third attempt at AG, which just goes to show you have to persevere in this brewing lark :)

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:12 pm

I didn't realise candi sugar was inverted; I take back my previous comment.

tribs

Post by tribs » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:52 am

I returned from my trip to Belgium last week.

Called in at de hopduvel warehouse in Gent to pick up some of the harder to find beers but it was shut :(

I did call in at a Colruyt cash and carry and picked up a dozen bottles each of Floreffe Dubbel, St Bernadus Abt and Gulden Draak and six Delirium Tremens for around £25.

I also called at St Sixtus Abbey and picked up a crate of 24 bottles of Westvleteren 12. Its supposedly the best beer in the world. It was hard work finding the place and they have a drive through shop and the queue was unbelievable. I missed my ferry as a result :D. I would have picked up another crate but it was cash only, I didn't have much left and the cash machines in Belgium are useless.

Bigster

Post by Bigster » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:22 pm

QUOTE I missed my ferry as a result
Thats beer dedication . Any bottles left :huh:

tribs

Post by tribs » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:28 am

:lol:

The westies are to be "cellared" (garaged :D ) for at least 6 months. Had a 9 month old one a couple of weeks ago that I picked up on my last trip there and while I was there I had a fresh one. It certainly ages well.

On Saturday I kegged and bottled the 24L of the Challenger Summer Ale which had been in the FV for 3 weeks. Looks like I'm going to be well stocked for a while B)

bod

Post by bod » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:47 pm

nice, think i'll be making some candy sugar at work sometime!! :D we buy in a ton of sugar every week, so i'm sure i can spare a pound of it for a homebrew adventure!!