Horden Hillbilly's Summer Bitter

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Horden Hillbilly

Horden Hillbilly's Summer Bitter

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Thu May 11, 2006 8:29 pm

Hi all,

I intend to make this beer at the weekend and I am happy to share the recipie with all you good folk here. It is a 5 gallon brew based on 82% effiency, OG 1042.

In the Mash Tun (90 mins)

Pale Malt 3686g (92%)
Crystal Malt 160g (4%)
Torrified Wheat 160g (4%)

In the boiler (90 mins boil)

Goldings at start of boil: Aim for 30 bittering units.
Goldings last 15 mins of boil: 16g.
Goldings at end of boil: 6g.

Yeast:
Any good quality top fermenting will be OK, I will be using Gervin on this brew, I have also used Wyeast 1028 and Whitelab 007 with exellent results.

Regarding the hops at the end of the boil, I add these when I switch my boiler off and leave to soak for 30 mins before running off and cooling. It is supposed to produce a similiar effect of dry hopping. Has anyone else done this or have any comments on this or any other aspects of this brew? Any comments, good or negative will be appreciated, although I wish to add that I have done this brew several times over and IMHO it is an excellent refreshing summer brew, which I intend to bottle and enjoy over the Summer months.

bod

Post by bod » Thu May 11, 2006 11:05 pm

i love goldings! this sounds really good. what does the torrified wheat do? is it any different from malted wheat in terms of flavour or body?

eskimobob

Post by eskimobob » Fri May 12, 2006 7:43 am

Doesn't the Torrified Wheat improve head retention? :blink:
Not sure what it does with flavour or body...

tribs

Post by tribs » Fri May 12, 2006 8:10 am

Yeah, any wheat will aid head retention.

Torrified wheat supposedly imparts a hint of biscuit like flavour.

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Fri May 12, 2006 10:22 am

...torrified wheat, which I can't get from my local hBS :bonk

Any suggestions for replacements - extra chrystal? more pale? flaked maize (which I have some of)?

I like beers which are a bit fruity from the hops, without being overly bitter, if you know what I mean. I'm guessing this fits in that category with all the goldings?

bod

Post by bod » Fri May 12, 2006 11:56 am

i only ever use malted wheat, never really known what the torridied stuff does, maybe i'll give it a go now!

malted wheat improves the body and the head as far as i know. i tried tyhe same recipe with it and with out, and the one with seemed alot more fuller if you know what i mean.

bod

Post by bod » Fri May 12, 2006 12:22 pm

or at least it'll just bump up the alcohol..... B)

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Fri May 12, 2006 12:58 pm

QUOTE (Daft as a Brush @ May 12 2006, 11:22 AM) Alternatively, get regular wheat and make it watch Friday the 13th...after that it will be torrified :P :wall :stun
:lol:

Either that or make it watch a speech by George Bush :P

BlightyBrewer

Post by BlightyBrewer » Fri May 12, 2006 7:01 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the recipe HH, much appreciated.

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Fri May 12, 2006 7:53 pm

QUOTE I've got some WL's 007 in the fridge that I keep meaning to make a 1/2 gal starter with and split, do you find it does what it claims and 'eliminates residule sweetness'?

It did ferment to a slightly lower final gravity than Wyeast 1028/Gervin, but it was hardly noticable in the finished brew. I personally prefer beers that are not too "dry", if my final gravity is in the region of 1008/1010 I am happy.

QUOTE what does the torrified wheat do? is it any different from malted wheat in terms of flavour or body?

I usuall include a small amount of torrified wheat in my brews purely for head formation & retention, me being a North Eastern Hillbilly! Unmalted adjuncts, ie torrified wheat, flaked maize, torrified barley, roast barley, etc are reputed to aid head formation & retention and adding subtle changes to the finished brew, again, my personal opinion only, I would only use them in small amounts, I like my beers malty & hoppy!

QUOTE Either that or make it watch a speech by George Bush

This is a good song about our friend (or fiend!) Mr. Bush, it gave the Hillbilly family a good laugh when we first saw & heard it!

http://www.ericblumrich.com/idiot.html

Enjoy!!!

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Mon May 15, 2006 7:14 am

Great song HH :)

I made a variation of your beer yesterday, well, variation is probably pushing it - I used a lot of goldings :D

Basically I took the Dave Line recipe for Harveys, which I made a couple of months back but which came out extremely bitter, reduced the IBUs dramatically and used only Goldings. I also increased the grain bill to account for my 70-75% efficiency rate.

OG about 1040 for 25 litres.

4000g Pale Malt
250g Flaked Maize
250g Soft Brown Sugar
10g Irish Moss (15 mins from end).

62g Goldings (25 IBUs) (full 90 mins)
15g Goldings after boil stopped, soaked for 20 mins.

Safale 04

The beer smells amazing, and this, my 3rd brew, was so much easier than my previous attempts.

My only cock up was forgetting about the brown sugar until after the boil had finished and I was half way through cooling the wort :bonk .
I boiled the sugar briefly in a little water and added it directly to the fermentor; I can't think why this would be a problem :unsure: