Timothy Taylors Landlord Strong Pale Ale

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
NzDan1

Post by NzDan1 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:48 am

Hey DaaB mate was that a 23 litre recipe?

NzDan1

Post by NzDan1 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:15 pm

Hey I thought you guys were like 11 hours behind us in time so that would make it like 1:00pm, dont you guys have a job or are you like me and send the missus out to work and brew all day LOL, now that I think about it must be about 8-9 am, it may be 20 hours behind. I dunno or is late sunday night cause its 12.30 am tuesday here.

NzDan1

Post by NzDan1 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:28 pm

Damn my times are all wrong then, im sure I called a friend in orkney here when it was 11pm and it was 8am over there.
New Forest?

NzDan1

Post by NzDan1 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:32 am

DaaB wrote:4,460g golden promise pale malt
42g styrian goldings
35 g fuggles hops (both full boil)
goldings hops 15g (last 15 mins)
irish moss 10 gm

Golden promise is obviously the common denominator here and there is a similar although slightly simpler hop schedule. It obviously leaves out the crystal and belgium aromatic which (imho) arent necessary as its a simple golden/verypale ale. (although i'm no expert at formulating recipes by any stretch of the imagination).

I havent tested the first recipe and am unlikely to as I was more than happy with Wheelers recipe. Tasting the results though is quite subjective, if you plan on doing both and you can get hold of a bottle of TTL perhaps you could do a side by side tasting 8)
Hello again! im brewing tribs TTL recipe tomorrow and the wheeler version on sunday, this may be a silly question but ive noticed on both recipes there is styrian goldings and just goldings, when you say goldings do you mean east kent goldings or styrians? ie the above recipe has fuggles and styrians for bittering and goldings last 15mins.

NzDan1

Post by NzDan1 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:42 am

Thanks DaaB I was hoping that was the case.

DJP

Post by DJP » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:59 pm

Hi guys, sorry to jump straight into the recipes on my first post but...

I've been brewing for about 10 years (all grain for the last 2) and I'm interested in doing a TTL recipe.

I note that Wheeler's recipe is 100% Golden Promise, but IMO TTL is a bit darker than a 100% pale malt recipe would indicate. So I'd suggest that there's probably at least some other malts in there.

What's your take on this?

BTW, it's good to find a British based brewing forum!
Cheers,
Dave.

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:58 pm

If you're looking for a darker color from a single malt then you might want to start your boil while you are running off the mash. This will slightly carmelize things. Same deal with a Scottish Mild, either carmelize or use more grain.
Don't know how it will effect the taste, but a quick darkening may get you there.

Kev.

Post by Kev. » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:51 pm

I've brewed the Wheeler version many times and it's a good recipe and an excellent beer. Slightly lighter IIRC than the real deal but as flytact points out caramelising the wort may help.

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:58 pm

Picked up 5kg of Golden Promise and some Styrian Goldings from the LHBS just now so will be brewing this one before Christmas :)
Dan!

Seveneer

Post by Seveneer » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:48 pm

Hey I was in there this morning Andy. Another 25kg of MO :D

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:51 pm

:D

Did Danny serve you, he was trying to work out if he was alright or not when I asked him! :lol:

You should have PM'd me and popped in for a swift Hefe !
Dan!

Seveneer

Post by Seveneer » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:26 pm

No his son was there. I was in and out in about 5 minutes flat.

Next time I'll take you up on that Hefe, if you still have any left :lol:

/Phil.