Chilli beer?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
johnmac
Under the Table

Chilli beer?

Post by johnmac » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:47 pm

Anyone tried making chilli beer? Got a recipe?

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:45 am

Thanks, DaaB, i'll start with a modest amount of chilli, when I get around to it. I also need to decide whether the chilli brew will be a pale ale or a brown ale. Perhaps the latter would be more suitable. I'm also considering having a go with coco/chocolate, at some point.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:52 am

I too have thought about chilli beer! I think it's too early in my brewing career to me meddling with these kinds of forces, maybe next year...

http://www.byo.com/feature/605.html on chilli beer on BYO.

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:33 pm

Cheers mysterio! I'll let you know what happens, if I survive

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:47 am

QUOTE (johnmac @ Jul 11 2006, 10:45 AM) Thanks, DaaB, i'll start with a modest amount of chilli, when I get around to it. I also need to decide whether the chilli brew will be a pale ale or a brown ale. Perhaps the latter would be more suitable. I'm also considering having a go with coco/chocolate, at some point.
I still can't quite understand why anybody would want to put a chili in their beer.

For me personally I enjoy having a nice beer and enjoying it. I may even enjoy a beer with a nice hot chili. I might even feel tempted to put beer into my chili while I am cooking it (haven't done so but would definately do it if I thought I had the right beer).

What I would never do is put the chili into my beer. How could it quench your thirst.

"My god my throat is on fire"
"Quick, have some of this beer. It'll cool you down"
"Glug, glug glug"
"AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhh"

Now chocolate. I'll be putting plenty of that into my stout when I make it (in the near future)

Edit: Ohhh 100 posts :D

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:41 am

So, would the chili be better suited to a dark or pale beer?

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

The next Pale Ale I brew I may split into 2 batches. One I'll bottle, the second I'll put into secondary with some sliced chili pepper.

I guess that one of the reasons I got into Homebrewing was so I could try different beers. If I am not willing to at least try a chili beer then it defeats one of the main reasons I brew :)

Will probably be winter before I get to give this one a try as I have several brews already planned.

Just wish I had more time to brew. Seems like months since I last made a beer :( In fact the last beer I made was just before the World Cup started. Damn, it has been far too long :( (Turbo Cider doesn't count)

I think that I had best make a visit to the LHBS next weekend (too busy this weekend - no time to brew ARGH!)

Frothy

Post by Frothy » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:50 pm

Heard that in Mexico chilli beers are quite popular and come in several manly strengths. Tried adding a few tspoons of chilli powder to a ginger beer plant - that was pretty good just gave it a bit of bite. Not sure i'd like it in an ale - more a light and well chilled lager.

chilli icecream anyone?
Matt