Black Forest Stout

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
PieOPah

Black Forest Stout

Post by PieOPah » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:26 pm

It hs been quite a while since I last made a stout and since when I have they have always been my favourite beers, I have decided that I am going to make another in the very near future. One of 2 things needs to happen first - I need to empty mu current Keg or my wife's work collegue needs to give me his old kit. I am hoping that I will be getting the kit sooner rather than later!

Anyway, I have been planning on a chocolate/cherry stout (Hence the name Black Forrest Stout).

Not too sure whether or not I will be making an extract or AG beer yet but let's say I'm going to do an extract (more likely at this point).

Anyway, I would like the flavour of the chocolate and cherries to be fairly prominent in this beer, so who can guide me with this recipe....

1.5kg DME - Amber
2.5kg DME - Light
0.5kg Black Patent Malt
0.5kg Chocolate Malt
0.11kg Roasted Barley
0.5kg Oat Flakes

xx Coco Powder
xx Cherries

Not too sure what hops/yeast I am going to be using at this stage.

When would it be best to add the Coco Powder and the Cherries? How much of each is advisable?

I would assume that the Coco would be put in at the end of the boil and perhaps put the Cherries in during secondary, maybe even do stages - boil, primary and secondary?

I want this to be my best stout yet so all comments (positive and negative) greatly appreciated. Even some ideas on what I should use for the hops (not really had any experience with different hops). Should I use more of something, less of something or something else altogether....

Overall I am looking for a great tasting beer which will have a nice creamy mouthfeel (hence the Oat - almost worked my last stout - might push that to 1kg) and lasting head (managed some good heads but they NEVER last)

All advice is greatly sought.

Many thanks :D