Brakspear Special Bitter

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Bigster

Brakspear Special Bitter

Post by Bigster » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:29 pm

Looking at the Dave lines book I have all the gear ready and just waiting for a break in the weather to sneak another brew in to replace the dear old abbot. Definitely wont be this week looking at the forecast..

3 candidates are courage directors, Youngs special or Brakspear Special Bitter.

Now the only one I am not familiar with is the Brakspear which dave Line says 'Delicious residual sweetness balances this hoppy strong brew'.

Sounds up my street - got some windsor yeast and have perfected keeping mash at 67c so looks to be favourite at the moment..Has anyone tried this beer ( assuming its still around) or brewed the clone ? If so what do you think :huh:

:beer

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:34 pm

What's the recipe?

Bigster

Post by Bigster » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:41 pm

Dave Lines Brakspear Special Bitter OG 1044
25 Litres (No adjustments)

Crushed pale malt 3.5kg
Crushed Crystal malt 150g
Flaked maize 250g (look out copper manifold)
Water 15Litres
Molasses 60g
Fuggles 30g
Goldings 60 + 15 + 10 g
Soft dark brown sugar 250g

plus usuals

Have tried the Brakspear boys bitter around 3.6 alc which is very tasty

norman

Post by norman » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:24 pm

the following is the grist makeup from THE Real Ale Almanac by Roger Protz.
BRAKSPEARE SPECIAL OG 1.043
Maris Otter pale malt 96%
pipkin crystal malt 3%
Pipkin black malt 1%
no 2 invert sugar 10%
27 units of colour
Fuggles Goldings Styrian Goldings challenger 46 units of bitterness
dry hopped

He goes on to say ripe rounded malt and fruit in mouth,bitter sweet finish with orange and banana nnotes.

norman

Post by norman » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:14 pm

I think any pale malt variety can be kilned to crystal malt,I have seen mention of Maris Otter crystal,and Halcyon crystal.The Real Ale Almanac contains the grist makeup of most breweries.Some refused to supply details to Protz and some only provided sketchy details.The edition I have is the fifth and last edition published 1997.