New batch bubblin'

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
monk

New batch bubblin'

Post by monk » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:20 pm

Well, after everyone's good input, I made up a batch of a Fuller's clone 2 days ago. I got the recipe out of "Clone Brews". The only difference being I substituted Northern Brewer hops for the Northdown, as I couldn't find any of the latter. here's the recipe. What do you all think?

Queen's ESB (brewed on the feast of Mary's Queenship, not that I think she'll want any :))

2 oz. English Amber Malt
2 oz. Aromatic Malt
.75 lb. British Crystal 55L
6 lbs. pale LME (Muntons, maybe?)
1 lb. Muntons light DME
.25 lb. Corn sugar

1 oz. Target (60 min)
.5 oz. Challenger 15 min
.5 oz. Northern Brewer 10 min
1 oz. EKGolding 1 min

White Labs 002 English Ale yeast

For perhaps the first time, the brewing was accomplished with no great mishaps. I used the "half now/half later" method with the extract, to avoid carmelizing it too much. The second half went in at 30 min. Come to think of it...I'm going to ask your opinions of this in another thread, cuz I'm quite curious. Cheers.
monk

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:18 pm

I brewed the same recipe from clone brews, only I substituted the Challenger hops for Northern Brewer, and the yeast for the White Labs London strain. Turned out great. Let us know how it goes B)

One think I'd recommend is try and keg this brew and serve it with a fairly low carbonation. It really brings out the flavour of this style of brew.

monk

Post by monk » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:26 pm

I'm afraid I can't keg my ales. I don't have the setup or the cashflow to make it happen. I sure wish I could, though. The only thing I have is bottles and one Mini-Keg. I haven't tried the minikeg yet, but i'm going to soon. I have a special bitter almost finished that I'll toss into it and dispense by gravity.

If I bottle the Fuller's clone, what amount of corn sugar ought I to use? Would you reckon 1/2 cup is right? Usually they say 3/4 cup, but with my last batch I think I put it at 2/3 and it was better. What do you think?

monk

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:46 am

I usually do it by weight and use a priming calculator:

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipa ... ation.html

Something like 2 and a half oz's maybe?

monk

Post by monk » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:08 am

Hmmm. I couldn't get that calculator to work right for me. When I put in the maximum carb for an ESB, it told me to bottle with 1.25 oz of corn sugar (for 5 gallons). That's only 2.5 tablespoons...doesn't seem right at all. Usually, it's around 2/3 to 3/4 cup (5.25-6 oz.). I must be doing something wrong. Can someone help me.

Thanks for the link, btw, Mysterio. Once I figure it out I'm sure I'll be fine tuning my priming with precision. :)