The Fuller's ESB is bottled

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
monk

The Fuller's ESB is bottled

Post by monk » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:21 am

Last night I bottled the Fuller's ESB and it went okay. I had a little bubbling in the bottles for a while, but other than that it was quiet siphoning.

The brew tasted good, but slightly alcoholic and there was a little ring around the top of the carboy. :( The ring could have come from the brew being a little warm in the carboy and there were some bubbles there. As for the alcohol flavor, what do you guys think? Here the fermentables part of the recipe:

2.72 kg M/F Light LME
.45 kg M/F Light DME
113g Corn sugar

Beertools calculates that to come out to 1.057 (with the specialty grains). Maybe the alcoholic flavor will diminish with conditioning?

Monk

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:24 pm

You're bound to notice some alcohol flavour at this stage, especially with the OG up at that range. I wouldn't worry about it at all, it will be great after 3 weeks in the bottle.

Man I could go a Fullers ESB right about now :)

monk

Post by monk » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:38 pm

That's great. :D I can't wait to try it...but, alas, I should give it at least 2 weeks. (I'll be cracking one in 3 days, guaranteed. :wink: )

monk

monk

Post by monk » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:47 pm

Well, I tried a couple pints already, and was scared at first. The first couple I tried hadn't carbonated as quickly as all my other batches, and they tasted weird.
Last night, however, I tried one that had a little carb and tasted much bettter. Definitely drinkable. This is the first brew I've ever made (lost count on how many that is) that really changed in flavor over time. I have a feeling that it truly will be quite tasty in a couple weeks.
My theory on the flavor issue is that having several specialty malts combined made for a combo that needed extra time to meld. Biscuit, amber, crystal, and some brown sugar. Anywhoo...I'm happy it's drinkable and it can't but get better over time.

monk