BYO Fuller's London Porter Clone

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:38 pm

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:02 pm

norman wrote:FULLERS LONDON PORTER According to Real Ale Almanac

25 litre batch OG 1053 ABV 5% 140 units of colour 33 EBU

OPTIC PALE MALT 4300 gms
CRYSTAL MALT 568 gms
BROWN MALT 683 gms
CHOCOLATE MALT 115 gms

HOPS 90 minute boil

FUGGLES 86 gms

Add 10 gms Fuggles last 15 minutes

Use Wyeast 1968 London ESB yeast.
I am thinking about doing this for my next brew, I am able to get a good supply of Warminster Marris Otter Pale Malt from a local brewery and would prefer to use it for cost reasons. What's the difference between Marris Otter and Optic Pale Malt?
All other ingredients will be the same, will it make a great difference to the Porter?

http://www.warminster-malt.co.uk/pdfs/mainproducts.pdf
Cheers

Cookie

monk

Post by monk » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:14 pm

The MO I get comes out darker and "nuttier" than the Optic (i'm no professional flavor describer, though). Take into account, however, that the Maris Otter I get is "Crisp" and may be different. I quite like the Optic, also.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:50 am

I brewed this one yesterday the first recipe I have used from this forum, just waiting to pitch the yeast in, I have a question though.

How is this calculated
OG 1053 ABV 5%?

I usually ferment down to a gravity around 1010 which I calulate as 5.84% according to a formula on my brewing spreadsheet.
Which is

OG - FG
Divided by 7.36

I have also seen this calculation

1.053 - 1.010 = 0.069 x 131 = 5.633%

Fullers London Porter is supposed to be 5.4%

Can anyone help with the ABV calulation on this?

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:13 pm

Cookie wrote: How is this calculated
OG 1053 ABV 5%?
The yeast Fullers use is fairly unattenuative so would have a higher FG than you'd expect.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:01 pm

Ok thanks, I am fermenting 2 batches.

what FG should I expect from

Whitelabs wlp013 London Ale Yeast
and
1968 Special London ( Wyeast )?

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:12 pm

Well it depends on a bunch of variable such as mash temp (lower gives more alcohol, lower FG) etc but Whitelabs gives WLP013 as 67-75% attenuation so assuming middle of the range gives 71% (ie. FG=1.015) but I'd expect it to be nearer 75% for that yeast (FG 1.013).

The wyeast is given as 67-71% so 69% is FG 1.016.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:26 pm

Just to let you all know I have been sampling this brew over the last few weeks and its excellent.

I've had a few tasters try it next to some bottled Fullers London Porter and the preference has been for my brew. The bottled one is a little gassy too which doesn't help it.
I'm so impressed with it that I will brew it again.

Buzz

Post by Buzz » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:09 pm

Cookie wrote:The bottled one is a little gassy
I find this with most bottled beers. Well done with your clone Cookie, sounds great.

mashweasel

Post by mashweasel » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:06 pm

Whenever I write articles for BYO and make clone recipes I NEVER base them on whats available to me or what I think my be available. I do my best to keep them spot on topic. If people cant find the ingredients, they can brew something else. It doesnt help anyone if I change the recipe based on how I think or 'feel'. I wish more people would write this way.