Heavy on the Wheat

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
awalker
Under the Table

Heavy on the Wheat

Post by awalker » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:12 pm

After being daring before Christmas, well after chatting to one of our American friends on here.
I did a wheat beer with 60% wheat malt, I thought I would see how far I can push it.

Ingredients
Amount Item Type %
3.50 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 70.00 %
1.50 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 30.00 %

6.00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.30 %] (90 min) Hops
21.00 gm Saaz [3.80 %] (90 min) Hops

Strange mix of hops maybe, the first mistake was going to get the hops for the boil.
Instead of 50grams of Hallertauer I had 6grams left :roll:
So made up the difference with of Saaz that I had left.

Not too bitter as its a SWMBO fav if its not to bitter.
Not that I could make it any more bitter due to the lack of hops.

Ended up with 1.054 and the yeast Safale Wheat Yeast

The run off was slower than normal but did not take much longer at all.

I/We have noticed the big difference between 50% and 60% wheat beers so am looking forward to trying this. Also very pleased to get through the wheat malt a bit quicker as using 50/50 was eating into my MO ale stocks a bit too much.

Did take a few pictures but not of the brewing, more of the wildlife in the garden and I do mean our feathered friends :D

I
Fermenter(s): Lambic, Wheat beer, Amrillo/Cascade Beer
Cornys: Hobgoblin clone, Four Shades Stout, Wheat Beer, Amarillo/Cascade Ale, Apple Wine, Cider, Damson Wine, Ginger Beer

awalker
Under the Table

Re: Heavy on the Wheat

Post by awalker » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:47 pm

Yes very refreshing, drinking a pint of the 60% at the mo.

The first wheat beer I did have a stuck, mash so for a while I used husks or what ever they were so it drained quicker.

Now I just batch sparge and make sure I raise the mash bed temp using 80oC sparge water
This seems to loosen the mash and it drains fine, it might be different when I mash 10 gallons worth next time.
Cornys: Hobgoblin clone, Four Shades Stout, Wheat Beer, Amarillo/Cascade Ale, Apple Wine, Cider, Damson Wine, Ginger Beer

arturobandini
Under the Table

Post by arturobandini » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:51 pm

Hopback Thunderstorm is a delicious English Wheat Beer.

It's 50% pale and 50% Wheat hopped entirely with Progress if I remember rightly. It's an excellent beer and bottle conditioned to boot.
Planning - Not for a long while

Fermenting - I'm Done

Bottle Maturing - Hobgoblin, Fullers ESB, American Stout, TOP, Fullers London Porter, Bandini Black IPA

Drinking - Still...Whiskey

booldawg

Post by booldawg » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:01 pm

I've only made one wheat beer and it was 60% Lager Malt and 40% wheat. I'd be tempted to go for a 60/40 in favour of wheat next time as it turned out crystal clear and not very 'wheaty'

awalker
Under the Table

Post by awalker » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:06 pm

booldawg wrote:I've only made one wheat beer and it was 60% Lager Malt and 40% wheat. I'd be tempted to go for a 60/40 in favour of wheat next time as it turned out crystal clear and not very 'wheaty'
What yeast did you use booldawg?

simple one
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by simple one » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:32 pm

I made a 60 40 Pale ale MO and Malted Wheat. It had a Bavarian wheat beer taste. And was awful young, which is contray to most writting on the subject. To the point that I thought it infected. But it matured nicely. I am after the holy grail now, the exact Hoegaarden clone.

booldawg

Post by booldawg » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:12 pm

awalker wrote:
booldawg wrote:I've only made one wheat beer and it was 60% Lager Malt and 40% wheat. I'd be tempted to go for a 60/40 in favour of wheat next time as it turned out crystal clear and not very 'wheaty'
I used Safbrew WB-06 wheat yeast

awalker
Under the Table

Post by awalker » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:34 pm

booldawg wrote:
awalker wrote:
I used Safbrew WB-06 wheat yeast
A good choice, it probably is just clear due to the amount of wheat to lager malt.
Although if I leave mine a while a good few months upto six it will drop out slowly
But with a shake of the keg it will be cloudy again

simple one
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by simple one » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:41 pm

Add 100g - 200g plain flour to the mash. It'll push through the haze and the wheaty taste. It gives a long lasting thick head too!