Cornish cream

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
thesmasheddemijohn

Cornish cream

Post by thesmasheddemijohn » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:44 am

Any ideas for this one as ive just returned from holidays and i'm missing it allready.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Cornish cream

Post by seymour » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:25 pm

BUMP.

Until researching this one, I didn't even know St. Austell made a Dark Mild! I can't find anything, though. Anyone have any recipe clues?

Belter

Post by Belter » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:52 pm

They don't anymore sadly. Used to be my favourite. It was like drinking a pint of roasty cream. Mmmm

I wasn't sure at Austell actually made it as it had nothing on the pump clip

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:16 pm

Oh man, that sounds amazing! Surely someone knows something about the recipe?

Belter

Post by Belter » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:34 pm

Perhaps email the brewer? I imagine as they don't brew it anymore they might help out

micmacmoc

Post by micmacmoc » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:37 pm

Are you sure of the name? I've never heard of it. Theres a new st austell LTD edition out, spring something or other, not tried that either.

Belter

Post by Belter » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:50 pm

300% best pint ever

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by oz11 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:10 pm

Ratebeer seems to have heard of it, but not one I've ever come across to my knowledge

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:23 pm

It was more of a stout than a mild in my opinion. It had a Guinness style head but was a bit sweeter.

Black Prince is St Austell's dark mild or black mild is how they describe it.

Belter

Post by Belter » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:41 pm

Black prince was my second favourite beer in the world

SMASH3R
Piss Artist

Post by SMASH3R » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:40 pm

This is my all-time favourite mild, and I want to brew something like this soon. I will email the brewer and post any response.

I used to go on holiday to Cornwall all the time, but stopped going regularly in about 2010. I think they stopped brewing Cornish cream in the region of 2008-2010. I remember on a visit to the St Austell brewery towards the end of that period, talking to one of the brewers about how they had stopped making it. He agreed that in his opinion also, it was one of the best beers they produce, but that it wasn't a 'popular' drink any more, and therefore they had to stop due to not shifting enough to make it worth while for the brewery. I can understand this and have my sympathy for the brewery; a massive shame though because it was awesome.

It was about 3.5-3.8% ABV from memory. Served Guinness style on nitrogen/CO2 mix, with a very similar appearance to Guinness. Possibly the tiniest bit less dark, but nothing noticeable. A bright, white head. Mouth-feel was smooth and creamy as you like, with subtle roast hint. Many may scoff at a 'real ale' being served this way, and down in the 5-8°C range, but picture this. After a hard morning's walking on a blistering hot Cornish summer's day, call into a decent local with a great view, sit in some dappled shade of a tree overlooking the Cornish coast, and smash a couple or three of these down to quench one's thirst. Heaven!

Pasty for lunch to soak some of that up!

SMASH3R
Piss Artist

Post by SMASH3R » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:03 pm

Correction:

According to my (very) earlier post here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8952&start=30

My brewery trip was in 2008, so they must have stopped making it 2007 or before. It was not available in 2008.
Having had a look around the St Austell website, the brewer I was chatting with seems to still be there. He's stood just behind Roger Ryman in one of the photos!

serum

Post by serum » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:53 pm

I remember trying this on a weekend in Cornwall and I couldn't get enough of it. It's a shame they don't make it anymore.

The first time I went to GBBF the winning beer was called Oscar Wilde and it was pretty similar. Can't remember who made it though.

serum

Post by serum » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:55 pm

Ah, just found the brewery, not sure how much you'll get from the description:

http://www.mightyoakbrewing.co.uk/mightyoakbeers.htm

SMASH3R
Piss Artist

Post by SMASH3R » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:54 pm

Well, the legends from St Austell brewery have kindly replied with some great hints for this recipe. I’m very thankful for their help, and I quite like that they’ve not given me the exact recipe, as trying out the brewing is half the fun!!! :)

As Roger has written:

“the secret to brewing a great mild…” by which of course I’m taking to mean Cornish Cream…

“…is to use a significant proportion of sugar added to the copper. The addition of a dark, unrefined sugar (molasses), up to 20% of the extract, gives the characteristic lushness. The malt mash should contain chocolate, and a small amount of brown malt. We also add a little lactose to deliver a lingering sweetness in the finished beer. Dark caramel sugar is added to give the desired final colour in the beer.

Mild ales are not particularly hoppy; 16-20 IBUs at the start of the boil.”

Therefore in my translation, I will try a first attempt something along the lines of this:

2,400g pale malt (67%)
500g chocolate malt (14%)
200g brown malt (5%)
500g molasses (14%)

O.G. 1.038
F.G 1.009
ABV 3.7%

Seeing a few recipies on the chalk boards in St Austell brewery, I wouldn't be surprised if those percentages were revised to 65/15/5/15.

I might buy some brewer’s caramel, as I assume this is the ‘dark caramel sugar’ being referred to, although I suspect black malt or Carafa 3 might be a somewhat suitable alternative, although is likely to impact the taste significantly in comparison to brewer’s caramel, which wouldn’t impact the taste at all with a few ml added to a 23L batch.

I currently have Jamil’s Dark Mild on the go in the fermenter. See the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17074