Elderflower Recipe Ideas

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Post Reply
thankyousam

Elderflower Recipe Ideas

Post by thankyousam » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:57 am

On a whim I ordered some dried elderflowers, but didn't really have an idea what I would use them for :roll: . I don't want to brew a Badger Golden Glory, so does anyone know of any other recipes which include elderflowers - or a recipe which would be suitable to have elderflowers added?

smdjoachim

Re: Elderflower Recipe Ideas

Post by smdjoachim » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:27 pm

i contacted Williams Brothers Brewery in Alloa,Scotland after drinking a bottle of their summer ale,This is their reply

for 5 gallons, 7lbs lager malt. 1 lb wheat malt. - mash. boil with 30g first Gold 8%. 20g cascade 5%ish. (alpha). late hops to kettle 20g cascade and 20g bobek - for last 10 mins of boil and transfer. brew with lager yeast at 12-14 degrees. post ferment add 50g elderflowers, 20g amarillo,20g casade and 5g grated lemon rind (make sure it is not waxed)to a sterilised vessel - 1 gall fermenting bucket? - and pour preboiled water over these ingredients at about 80 degrees C. Leave this mix for 2 hrs - dont let it get cooler than 65c. then add to the brew. nb. because you are adding back liquid brew the beer a bit stronger - try for an OG of 1053 and make the infusion about 3 litres
made just after christmas and drinking it now.a very tasty drop of summer in a glass,i will try and make it last until summer(if we get one)

yogester

Re: Elderflower Recipe Ideas

Post by yogester » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:46 am

thankyousam wrote:On a whim I ordered some dried elderflowers, but didn't really have an idea what I would use them for :roll: . I don't want to brew a Badger Golden Glory, so does anyone know of any other recipes which include elderflowers - or a recipe which would be suitable to have elderflowers added?
I brewed this very recently. Worked very well - my wifes fav brew and I could see myself brewing this up a tonne for summer. I would increase the wheat to 150g (for head) and increase the crystal to 250g (more body) if I did it again. First Gold + elderflower = yummy!

Wort Volume Before Boil: 26.00 l Wort Volume After Boil: 23.00 l
Volume Transferred: 23.00 l Water Added To Fermenter: 0.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 23.00 l Volume Of Finished Beer: 22.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.034 SG Expected OG: 1.039 SG
Expected FG: 1.011 SG Apparent Attenuation: 71.5 %
Expected ABV: 3.7 % Expected ABW: 2.9 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 21.6 IBU Expected Color (using Morey): 9.7 EBC
BU:GU ratio: 0.56

Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Mash temperature: 67 degC for 90 min
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 18 degC


Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
Barley Bottom Maris Otter Malt 3.560 kg 92.2 % 2.7 In Mash/Steeped
Barley Bottom Light Crystal Malt 0.200 kg 5.2 % 1.7 In Mash/Steeped
UK Torrified Wheat 0.100 kg 2.6 % 0.1 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
UK First Gold 8.0 % 10 g 9.9 Loose Whole Hops First Wort Hopped
UK First Gold 8.0 % 10 g 9.9 Loose Whole Hops All Of Boil
UK First Gold 8.0 % 5 g 1.7 Loose Whole Hops 10 Min From End
UK First Gold 8.0 % 5 g 0.2 Loose Whole Hops 1 Min From End


Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When
Dried Elderflower 28 g In Boil 10 min From End
Protafloc 1 Tablet In Boil 20 mins From End


Yeast
Danstar-Nottingham x 2

Mountain

Re: Elderflower Recipe Ideas

Post by Mountain » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:23 pm

Excellent, I too had a strange urge to buy elderflowers before Christmas so now have something to do with them.

critch

Re: Elderflower Recipe Ideas

Post by critch » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:39 am

for ten gallons

9kg pale ale malt
500g wheat
250g crystal 140
mash 60 min @65c

boil 90 min
@ 90 60g bobek(4.2aa)
@10 60g bobek
@10 1tsp protofloc
@flame out 50g bobek
@flame out+30 50g elderflower&30g bobek
steep for a further 30 min before chilling

use s-o4 yeast

og 1044 fg 1007 abv4.9


worked rather well as i remember

thankyousam

Re: Elderflower Recipe Ideas

Post by thankyousam » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:52 pm

Thanks for the various ideas, I will post something when I've brewed. I'm getting the impression from the above recipes that elderflowers go with nice hoppy brews! :D

User avatar
floydmeddler
Falling off the Barstool
Posts: 3959
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:37 pm
Location: Irish man living in Brighton

Re: Elderflower Recipe Ideas

Post by floydmeddler » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:52 pm

First Gold hops and Elderflower are amazing. Add honey to the secondary ferment for something even more special. :D

thankyousam

Re: Elderflower Recipe Ideas

Post by thankyousam » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:35 pm

yogester wrote:I brewed this very recently. Worked very well - my wifes fav brew and I could see myself brewing this up a tonne for summer. I would increase the wheat to 150g (for head) and increase the crystal to 250g (more body) if I did it again. First Gold + elderflower = yummy!

Wort Volume Before Boil: 26.00 l Wort Volume After Boil: 23.00 l
Volume Transferred: 23.00 l Water Added To Fermenter: 0.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 23.00 l Volume Of Finished Beer: 22.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.034 SG Expected OG: 1.039 SG
Expected FG: 1.011 SG Apparent Attenuation: 71.5 %
Expected ABV: 3.7 % Expected ABW: 2.9 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 21.6 IBU Expected Color (using Morey): 9.7 EBC
BU:GU ratio: 0.56

Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Mash temperature: 67 degC for 90 min
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 18 degC

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
Barley Bottom Maris Otter Malt 3.560 kg 92.2 % 2.7 In Mash/Steeped
Barley Bottom Light Crystal Malt 0.200 kg 5.2 % 1.7 In Mash/Steeped
UK Torrified Wheat 0.100 kg 2.6 % 0.1 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
UK First Gold 8.0 % 10 g 9.9 Loose Whole Hops First Wort Hopped
UK First Gold 8.0 % 10 g 9.9 Loose Whole Hops All Of Boil
UK First Gold 8.0 % 5 g 1.7 Loose Whole Hops 10 Min From End
UK First Gold 8.0 % 5 g 0.2 Loose Whole Hops 1 Min From End

Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When
Dried Elderflower 28 g In Boil 10 min From End
Protafloc 1 Tablet In Boil 20 mins From End

Yeast
Danstar-Nottingham x 2
Thanks again for this recipe. We brewed a slightly ammended version of this 3 weeks ago and it's been in the bottle for a week now. Here's our blog post.

We upped the grain bill to make it a little stronger, ABV-wise. It should have come out around 4.1%. We were a litre short out of the mashtun; I think we had a slightly higher evaporation than before (OG of 1.050); and, the US-05 attenuated down to 1.006. This all meant we ended up with 21litres (rather than 23l) around a hefty 5.7% ABV :o We probably should have diluted a litre

One thing I noticed was that some of the elderflower bits got through the hop filter and additional sieve and have ended up in the bottle. I suppose it shows that it's got elderflowers in it! If I was to brew it again I'd probably use a muslin filter rather than the sieve when transferring from the boiler in to the FV.

befuggled

Re: Elderflower Recipe Ideas

Post by befuggled » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:35 pm

I mate of mine suggested an Elderflower beer last October. Partly inspired by this thread I got on with it just over a month ago. It went into mini-kegs and bottles last Wednesday, so too early to tell much, but the aroma is amazing!
I used mainly lager and Vienna malts, with a bit of wheat, RIMS decoction and US-05.
Goldings and Cascade for bittering, Cascade, Bobek and Elderflower at 20 mins and Mt Hood, Cascade and Elderflower at flame out with a very fast cool from 90C to try to keep the aroma oils.
It clocked in at 6.4%, but I don't think it will taste overly strong - it is meant for summer after all!
I will watch for your tasting results with great interest.

yogester

Re: Elderflower Recipe Ideas

Post by yogester » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:14 pm

thankyousam wrote: Thanks again for this recipe. We brewed a slightly ammended version of this 3 weeks ago and it's been in the bottle for a week now. Here's our blog post.

We upped the grain bill to make it a little stronger, ABV-wise. It should have come out around 4.1%. We were a litre short out of the mashtun; I think we had a slightly higher evaporation than before (OG of 1.050); and, the US-05 attenuated down to 1.006. This all meant we ended up with 21litres (rather than 23l) around a hefty 5.7% ABV :o We probably should have diluted a litre

One thing I noticed was that some of the elderflower bits got through the hop filter and additional sieve and have ended up in the bottle. I suppose it shows that it's got elderflowers in it! If I was to brew it again I'd probably use a muslin filter rather than the sieve when transferring from the boiler in to the FV.
I found I had to rack to secondary and then fine with Kwick Clear in order for it to drop bright! Your version looks nice. I brewed up another batch today but with CaraPils instead of Crystal/Wheat (in brewdays).

Grot

Re: Elderflower Recipe Ideas

Post by Grot » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:38 pm

Hmm, those are some interesting ideas. The missus is quite fond of St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur. Maybe I'll brew something up to surprise her.

Post Reply