Kelham Island Pale Rider anyone?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
befuggled

Kelham Island Pale Rider anyone?

Post by befuggled » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:53 pm

I did a first attempt at this last year using only Willamette. A very drinkable pale ale, but not Pale Rider.
I have seen it variously described as North American Hops or American and German hops.
Target date for consumption at a fairly large family/friends party - 21st August (along with Butty Bach, which I have got fairly close now...)
Any ideas please?

kay-jay

Re: Kelham Island Pale Rider anyone?

Post by kay-jay » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:08 pm

good luck with that mate!
if you find a half decent recipe for it let us know. it is probably my favourite pale beer.i e-mailed the brewery and they ignored me.

KJ :D

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:05 pm

Not much, but here's what I've seen. Sounds like a fairly typical golden ale with late grapefruity Cascades.

Kelham Island Pale Rider
OG: 1052
ABV: 5.2%
IBU: 30
Colour: clear golden
Grainbill: 100% Maris Otter
Bittering Hops: Willamette, Columbus
Aroma Hops: Cascade, Citra

kay-jay

Post by kay-jay » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:52 pm

Wow and i only had to wait three years for it...

Thanks mate:mrgreen:

JonoT
Piss Artist

Post by JonoT » Tue May 07, 2013 8:57 am

I found this recipe (though can't remember where!)

Brewed it and it was a great beer, seems though different hops to that suggested by seymour

Effin Pale Rider

Fermentable Colour lb: oz Grams Ratio
Pale Malt 5 EBC 13 lbs. 2.9 oz 5980 grams 90%

Hop Variety Type Alpha Time lb: oz grams Ratio
Nelson Sauvin Whole 12.7 % 20 mins 0 lbs. 0.8 oz 23 grams 22.3%
Nelson Sauvin Whole 12.7 % 0 mins 0 lbs. 0.5 oz 14 grams 13.6%
Styrian Bobek Whole 3.99 % 90 mins 0 lbs. 2.3 oz 66 grams 64.1%

Final Volume: 30 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.045
Final Gravity: 1.010
Alcohol Content: 4.5% ABV
Total Liquor: 42 Litres
Mash Liquor: 15 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 36.8996210654878 EBU
Colour: 7 EBC

Skittlebrau

Post by Skittlebrau » Tue May 07, 2013 9:33 am

I think a big part of Pale Rider's taste is from the yeast. The reason I think this is because I've brewed a few times with that yeast and all the beers were 1. brilliant and 2. "Kelham Islandy" in flavour. They've stopped doing bottle conditioned Pale Rider now, but they told me they would do me an unfined minikeg if I ring up in advance, so I will be back on it eventually. Highly recommend that yeast. Is it wort trying to get Brewlab to stock it?

Cozzyb
Hollow Legs

Post by Cozzyb » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:26 pm

If they don't store it already? Have you asked them. Kelham Island isn't that old a brewery I would suspect they either use a known strain or a now mutated strain, for example Shep Neame have a mutated strain that gives them their taste, and brewlabs have this on file, so they make have Kelhams.

crafty john

Post by crafty john » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:06 pm

befuggled wrote:I did a first attempt at this last year using only Willamette. A very drinkable pale ale, but not Pale Rider.
I have seen it variously described as North American Hops or American and German hops.
Target date for consumption at a fairly large family/friends party - 21st August (along with Butty Bach, which I have got fairly close now...)
Any ideas please?
Any chance you could give me the recipe mate? I have loads of Willamette to use up.

Cheers

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:49 pm

Broadly speaking, Willamette is an Americanized Fuggles-replacement. I realize it's not as classic, but you could simply use it in any recipe calling for Fuggles.

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:15 pm

Similar to the yeast from Abbeydale...it ferments for ever, when you think its finished, it starts all over again. it is an absolute sod to clear as it does not floctulate well.

A tweety bird told me that they got the original strain from Holts in Manchester

Skittlebrau

Post by Skittlebrau » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:10 pm

robbarwell wrote:Similar to the yeast from Abbeydale...it ferments for ever, when you think its finished, it starts all over again. it is an absolute sod to clear as it does not floctulate well.

A tweety bird told me that they got the original strain from Holts in Manchester
I can't remember if I've ever bottled with it, but whenever I've used it in barrels, KI yeast has been excellent at dropping clear quickly. It has also been nice and quick to ferment...

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:07 pm

Long shot...I've got a bottle of this from Azda..4 bottles for a fiver..hic burrp..Fantastic Beer it is. I'm not getting a lot of Cascade but getting a hint of Brewers Gold.Is it a blend of BG and Cascade with Willamette

Gazza
Sober

Post by Gazza » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:56 pm

I can confirm the hops as they are identified in the Witherspoon's tasting notes for pale rider. Without a figure for the IBU its not easy to work out the quantity of hops. However the hops are Willamette, Columbus, Cascade and Citra.