Thornbridge Kipling recipe????

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
mark4newman

Re: Thornbridge Kipling recipe????

Post by mark4newman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:39 pm

Hi

I am going to try this, the other other beer hasn't turned out like the kipling I recall. So trying to get a bit more sweetness in there, and cutting back on the Torriffied wheat. Anyone any views on the below

2L starter of Californian V Ale Yeast WLP051

4.6kg Marris otter
0.3 Pale Crystal malt
0.3KG Munich
0.1Kg Torrified wheat

60 mins boil

20 grm NS (13%AA) for 60mins
20 gms NS for 10mins
20 gms NS for 5mins
40 gms steeped at 80C for 30mins

10 mins add Servomyces Yeast Nutrient, and Yeast Neurient

Cool to 23C put in fermenter and pitch yeast

Put at 23C until it is yeast is firing, (Normally about 1-2hrs) then Leave fermeneter for 6 days at 20C

Purge secondary with CO2 then Transfer to Secondary (1 week)

Put in King keg and bottle with approx 0.5 cup of Light DME

User avatar
soupdragon
Under the Table
Posts: 1543
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:54 pm
Location: Wirral

Re: Thornbridge Kipling recipe????

Post by soupdragon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:04 pm

mark4newman wrote:Hi

I am going to try this, the other other beer hasn't turned out like the kipling I recall. So trying to get a bit more sweetness in there, and cutting back on the Torriffied wheat. Anyone any views on the below

2L starter of Californian V Ale Yeast WLP051

4.6kg Marris otter
0.3 Pale Crystal malt
0.3KG Munich
0.1Kg Torrified wheat

60 mins boil

20 grm NS (13%AA) for 60mins
20 gms NS for 10mins
20 gms NS for 5mins
40 gms steeped at 80C for 30mins

10 mins add Servomyces Yeast Nutrient, and Yeast Neurient

Cool to 23C put in fermenter and pitch yeast

Put at 23C until it is yeast is firing, (Normally about 1-2hrs) then Leave fermeneter for 6 days at 20C

Purge secondary with CO2 then Transfer to Secondary (1 week)

Put in King keg and bottle with approx 0.5 cup of Light DME
Hi mark4newman

How did your 2nd attempt at Kipling turn out? I've finally managed to get acouple of packs of N.S. from Rob ( MaltMiller ) :D
Still got a trial brew to do using Mr Wheeler's pre oxidizing of flavour hops idea. Anything that maximizes the hop flavour is worth a go but I'm gagging to get a Kipling clone on the go =P~

Cheers Tom

mysterio

Re: Thornbridge Kipling recipe????

Post by mysterio » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:19 am

Why not brew the recipe posted on the first page, as posted by what looks like the brewer? Doesn't look as if anyone has brewed it yet.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010
Posts: 7874
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:06 pm
Location: Keighley, West Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Thornbridge Kipling recipe????

Post by WishboneBrewery » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:17 pm

mysterio wrote:Why not brew the recipe posted on the first page, as posted by what looks like the brewer? Doesn't look as if anyone has brewed it yet.
What a good idea :)

User avatar
soupdragon
Under the Table
Posts: 1543
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:54 pm
Location: Wirral

Re: Thornbridge Kipling recipe????

Post by soupdragon » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:49 pm

I'm still a way off yet chaps. I'm still doing trial brews to find out how to get the best flavour from the hops :(
2 trials to go before I can crack open my Nelson's :wink:
That's why I thought I'd ask the question 1st. Learn from other peoples experience and all that :)

Cheers Tom

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010
Posts: 7874
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:06 pm
Location: Keighley, West Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Thornbridge Kipling recipe????

Post by WishboneBrewery » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:52 pm

Could always just do a M A S S I V E 80c steep with earlier 15-10min addition.

User avatar
soupdragon
Under the Table
Posts: 1543
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:54 pm
Location: Wirral

Re: Thornbridge Kipling recipe????

Post by soupdragon » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:13 pm

I was planning on using a full pack ( 100g ) of N.S's in the brew but I've got two packs in stock. Would it be better to use some high alpha's to give a base of bitterness then split a pack of Nelson's 50/50 between the 15 min addn and the 80c steep? Or even use a full pack in each addn? :D

Cheers Tom

mysterio

Re: Thornbridge Kipling recipe????

Post by mysterio » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:28 pm

Kipling Recipe The Brewer Posted on Jims
American Pale Ale


Type: All Grain
Date: 16/06/2011
Batch Size: 5.00 Imp gal
Brewer:
Boil Size: 5.72 Imp gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.10 kg Lager Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain 85.06 %
0.36 kg Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.47 %
0.36 kg Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 7.47 %
23.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.60 %] (60 min) Hops 27.9 IBU
23.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] (30 min) Hops 22.7 IBU
75.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] (0 min) Hops -



Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.81 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 50.6 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 4.2 SRM Color: Color


Mash Profile

Mash Name: My Mash Total Grain Weight: 4.82 kg
Sparge Water: 6.78 Imp gal Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 22.2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

ERROR - All Grain/Partial Mash recipe contains no mash steps


Mash Notes:
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 128.8 gm Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 15.6 C Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 11.1 C

User avatar
soupdragon
Under the Table
Posts: 1543
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:54 pm
Location: Wirral

Re: Thornbridge Kipling recipe????

Post by soupdragon » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:27 am

Good work sir :D

Cheers Tom

Lugsy

Re: Thornbridge Kipling recipe????

Post by Lugsy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:28 pm

OK, I've recovered from yesterdays fun, my Nelsons are here and SWMBO's away so it's time for the second brew of the weekend. I can take a hint so I'm going to have a go at THE KIPLING RECIPE THE BREWER POSTED this afternoon.

Cheers lads,

L

barl_fire

Re: Thornbridge Kipling recipe????

Post by barl_fire » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:41 pm

Anyone tried the brewer's recipe yet then :?:

Planning this as a 19litre brew for either AG#3 or AG#4 depending on which bits I get in first.

Thornbridge Kipling

Pale Malt 5 EBC 7 lbs. 14.9 oz 3600 grams 84.9%
Munich Malt 20 EBC 0 lbs. 11.2 oz 320 grams 7.5%
Torrefied Wheat 4 EBC 0 lbs. 11.2 oz 320 grams 7.5%

Nelson Sauvin Whole 12.6 % 60 mins 0 lbs. 0.6 oz 17 grams 21%
Nelson Sauvin Whole 12.6 % 30 mins 0 lbs. 0.5 oz 13 grams 16%
Nelson Sauvin Whole 12.6 % 0 mins 0 lbs. 1.8 oz 51 grams 63%

Final Volume: 19 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.012
Alcohol Content: 4.9% ABV
Total Liquor: 28.1 Litres
Mash Liquor: 10.6 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 41.4131595756764 EBU
Colour: 10 EBC
Yeast: US-05

Lugsy

Re: Thornbridge Kipling recipe????

Post by Lugsy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:01 pm

I made the brewers recipe 15 days ago, it's still in FV waiting for to go in the keg but the US05 krausen still hasn't been absorbed - I'm giving it a couple more days and then it's going in regardless!

The taste and aroma are stunning - the fruitiest beer I've made so far, delicious! The gravity is down to 1.008 so a bit lower than expected but there's nothing thin about it. I'm afraid it's been a while since I had a Kipling so I can't say what it's like compared to the original and obviously it'll benefit from some conditioning but I'm very happy with it :D

The only problem now is trying to keep my hands off it for long enough for it to clear!

barl_fire

Re: Thornbridge Kipling recipe????

Post by barl_fire » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:15 pm

Lugsy wrote:I made the brewers recipe 15 days ago, it's still in FV waiting for to go in the keg but the US05 krausen still hasn't been absorbed - I'm giving it a couple more days and then it's going in regardless!

The taste and aroma are stunning - the fruitiest beer I've made so far, delicious! The gravity is down to 1.008 so a bit lower than expected but there's nothing thin about it. I'm afraid it's been a while since I had a Kipling so I can't say what it's like compared to the original and obviously it'll benefit from some conditioning but I'm very happy with it :D

The only problem now is trying to keep my hands off it for long enough for it to clear!
Sounds awesome!!!

Got some Munich and Nelson Sauvin ordered this evening, just need some Maris Otter and torrified wheat which I'll pick up from my lhbs and I'll be hot to trot, really can't wait.

Must admit I'll not be able to resist heading down to Waitrose or the Dram shop near here to buy a few bottles of Kipling to do a comparison :beer:

mark4newman

Re: Thornbridge Kipling recipe????

Post by mark4newman » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:53 am

Hi

I brewed the original recipe, a while ago.

It was very promising in the fermentor. (Much more fruity than Kipling). However, it didn't age very well, it became very very dry (Someone posted the same thing happening with a hophead clone and WLPOO1 j), and also the fruitiness went and the NS gave of the "wine" taste.

If I was to brew it again, I would try to get some sweetness in it

Either a higher mash temp (Although I don't tend to find this does much)
Add some Caramalt/light crystal (There is a reason, most PA with WLP001 have this)...maybe 2% to 3%
Or try a different yeast (I think I am starting to get fed up with WLP001)

Also I would try to keep a bit more of the fruityness of the hop so I would

Also steep some of the NS,
and maybe dry hop some.

I didn't have any kipling to compare it to, but it was certainly far to dry, and the NS wineyness came through too much.

crookedeyeboy

Re: Thornbridge Kipling recipe????

Post by crookedeyeboy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:30 am

What gravity did it get down to?

Post Reply