Something Fruity - ideas please

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
TheMumbler

Post by TheMumbler » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:42 pm

1kg or so of Cheap Fruit
So what happens next? Thoughts and suggestions please :)

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Re: Something Fruity - ideas please

Post by TC2642 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:17 pm

I'd do a 4% pale ale with some wheat for head retention, prob 10-15 IBU's, mash, neutral yeast like S05 and boil the apricots for 10-15mins and add to a hop/straining bag once initial fermentation has abated, it should kick off again for a week or two before bottling. But I would aim for around 1kg per 1 gal of beer for getting the taste through. I also don't know how good apricots are in a beer, they may get lost.
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

TheMumbler

Post by TheMumbler » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:25 pm

Thanks for the input, I think you are right about the amount of fruit being low from my experience of doing fruit beers, but I can always either get more or do a split ferment.

What sort of hops do you think would go well with apricot?

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:18 pm

TheMumbler wrote:Thanks for the input, I think you are right about the amount of fruit being low from my experience of doing fruit beers, but I can always either get more or do a split ferment.

What sort of hops do you think would go well with apricot?
Not sure, probably something new worldy to help complement the fruit flavour?
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:53 pm

How about whipping up some sour beer then letting it age on the fruit? I have some really mature oud bruin (I'm doing a solea and some of the beer in that thing is now like 2 1/2 years old) which I keep threatening to add cherries to, just never got that far. I would think that you might be better off doing a lambic if you want to mess with apricots though. Actually, I really need to do another batch.....humm.
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

Kinley

Post by Kinley » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:21 pm

Magic Hat brew a beer called Number 9 to which they add apricots and very nice it is too. Radical brewing suggests 300g of dried apricot per gallon.

Wezzel

Post by Wezzel » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:06 pm

I've heard a rumour that apricots DO work. Some people who are looking for a peach flavour use apricots instead as they give a similar flavour but are robust enough to survive the fermentation. I've no idea how much to add though.

wmfd
Piss Artist

Post by wmfd » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:08 pm

Yes, from memory the apricot/peaches comment is from Randy Mosher's book Radical Brews.

Looking to do a fruity brew myself for a party, and does seem to need a large amount per gallon.

David
Planning: Election interference Russian Imperial Cocoa Stout and something for Christmas
Fermenting: Nothing beery (there is a kombucha going though)
Conditioning: Nothing
Bottled (Drinking): 1936 Mackesons, Weissbeer, Summer Lightning

My supplies from http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk

greenxpaddy

Post by greenxpaddy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:13 pm

Fruity = Wy1098 yeast

TheMumbler

Post by TheMumbler » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:45 pm

thanks for the replies

yes Randy Mosher advises using apricots over peaches in radical brewing iirc

thanks for the mention of Magic Hat #9 from what I can gather they use some sort of extract, food for thought though

I was wondering about an apricot saison prior to starting this thread but didn't want to influence any of the responses maybe split to do half apricot and half elderflower

BW - I'd love to do something like that but I don't have the time or the set up atm

DaveyT
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by DaveyT » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:37 pm

Not sure if you still want info on this, but found something that might be of interest.
Charlie Papazian uses 3.2 kg of skinned apricots for 19l of ale in secondary. He also adds 28g of coriander seeds.
Probably help to have very ripe fruit and, as I'm late with this, I presume they might be by now!

David
Evolution didn't end with us growing thumbs.
Bill Hicks

TheMumbler

Post by TheMumbler » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:41 am

Thanks for all the replies, short on time to brew at the moment so I ate them in the end :)