Peel or juice?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
DaveyT
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Peel or juice?

Post by DaveyT » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:51 pm

Hello
Specifically for using lemons- do I want the peel or can I use juice? Does it matter?
I can only find examples of orange peel being used so I'm looking to follow suit as I think it's the oil in the skin that I'm after.
Not sure if this is a recipe question, but couldn't see which other to use.
Any input appreciated.

Cheers
David
Evolution didn't end with us growing thumbs.
Bill Hicks

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Peel or juice?

Post by trucker5774 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:59 pm

Not sure I know the answer. When i have used citrus I have used the peel for the zest and oil...................may be helpful for your answer if you tell everyone what you are making! :wink:
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:59 pm

What are you trying to achieve, what will the oranges/lemons be used for, put in, will they be boiled etc?

Generally I think you'll find that the outer rind (leave the white bitter pith behind) will give the most flavuorsome result.

DaveyT

Post by DaveyT » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:05 pm

Oh yeah! It's for a summer blond ale. Thinking of adding it after primary for a week. Probably with something else, maybe rosemary after what Rookie mentioned on a previous thread.

Cheers
Bill Hicks

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:08 pm

I think just the zest. lemony flavour without to much acid

Befuddler
Even further under the Table

Post by Befuddler » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:14 pm

The zest will give the most bang for buck, just make sure you leave the pith out. I've had a commercial chocolate orange stout that tasted absolutely terrible because they chucked the pith in along with the peel. :-&
"There are no strong beers, only weak men"

DaveyT

Post by DaveyT » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:30 pm

Excellent, thanks.
Am I right in thinking I ought to get something organic to avoid industrial grime?

David
Bill Hicks

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:32 pm

No but I would wash the fruit first before removing the yellow portion only (as a previous poster mentioned). There may be something on the outside of the peel that would kill the head on the beer. Enjoy, it works great, I have done it with good sucess in Saisons. :D
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:41 pm

DaveyT wrote:Am I right in thinking I ought to get something organic to avoid industrial grime?
Organic is good but home grown is better (neighbor, friend, family) - both tend to have more flavour than what you'll find at most fruit and veg shops.

DaveyT

Post by DaveyT » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:30 pm

Fantastic. Thanks gentlemen. I'll start asking around for people with lemon trees.
When I get round to it, I'll hopefully have time to write it up as a brewday.
Thanks again.

David
Bill Hicks

oneilldave
Steady Drinker

Post by oneilldave » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:45 pm

Hi DaveyT,

You could follow the advice that cooks use when it comes to lemons, which is, as mentioned, the rind only, no pith. As to washing, most defo! They put wax on the skin to make them look shiney under the supermarket lights so I would recommend using a flannel and loads of hot water. A potatoe peeler is ideal for taking only the yellow part of the skin off. I would recommend juilliening the zet to get the most out of it (match-stick like shredding). I've used mandarine zest in a couple of lager malt brews before and the flavour was just about there, delicate and not in your face, but worth it for the effect. But I also put in corriander seeds and cardoman as well, along with Citra hops. Pure bliss in a glass - sigh.

Hope it works out.

Dave.
Currently Drinking: Marris Otter with home roasted porridge oats, shredded wheat, crystal and black malt, EKG hops and Nottingham yeast. Smooth, dark, and rich - put some aside for Xmas.
Currently Drinking: Bohemian Pilsner with porridge oats, shredded wheat and basmati rice, along with Saaz hops, mandarin zest, coriander, cardamon pods and Munich yeast. Silky on the mouth with a wonderful summer taste. Love this brew!

DaveyT

Post by DaveyT » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:17 pm

Thanks Dave, esp for the cutting up tip. I hadn't thought of that and I'll give it a go.
I'll post the recipe up for criticism soon enough. I was thinking of doing it nearer thebrew date but I don't know when that will be so may as well get the recipe up while I've the time.

David
Bill Hicks