Southwold Summer IPA (American IPA style)

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
chastuck
Hollow Legs

Southwold Summer IPA (American IPA style)

Post by chastuck » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:47 am

M&S have got a fantastic bottled beer on sale at the moment. It's Southwold Summer IPA brewed by Adnams. It's their take on an American IPA style. It's AV is 6.8%. At £1.99 a bottle, or buy 6 get one free, is a real bargain. The flavour is fantastic - really good hop explosion in the mouth and a nice dryness. Has anyone got a recipe suggestion for this fine ale?

bryanferry
Piss Artist

Re: Southwold Summer IPA (American IPA style)

Post by bryanferry » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:19 pm

A couple of weeks ago Kegman posted a very handy chart of Adnams ale ingredients. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52921 Unfortunately you'll have to work out the ratios on your own and get your hands on some Adnams yeast but knowing the foundations helps a bit.

I'm a big fan of their Mayday so have been using trial and much, much error to put together a reasonable version so I'm not without for 11 months of the year.

For the American IPA it seems to include tipple, crystal, wheat and munich malt with a mix of chinnock, amarillo, willamette, cascade and centinnial hops.
Grainfather conical standard bitter
Corny Keg 1 - Silver still spirits tonic water
Corny Keg 2 - Purple empty
Corny Keg 3 - Copper low % ale
Demi Johns

chastuck
Hollow Legs

Post by chastuck » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks for this. very useful as a starting point.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:57 pm

bryanferry wrote:A couple of weeks ago Kegman posted a very handy chart of Adnams ale ingredients. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52921 Unfortunately you'll have to work out the ratios on your own and get your hands on some Adnams yeast but knowing the foundations helps a bit.
I wouldn't stress much over the yeast, American IPAs are about the hops. A lot of American brewers use the clean chico strain in their IPAs.
I'm just here for the beer.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:41 pm

Rookie wrote:I wouldn't stress much over the yeast, American IPAs are about the hops. A lot of American brewers use the clean chico strain in their IPAs.
+1

But tell you what: If you have the coveted Adnams dual-strain, I'll trade you my packet of Chico anytime you like :)