No trademark infringement (Not 5am saint)

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
pantsmachine

No trademark infringement (Not 5am saint)

Post by pantsmachine » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:59 pm

I always stop in past brewdog in Aberdeen when i am out for a pint. 5AM saint is my go to beer there. I've had an idea to try something along their dark chewy moreish massively hopped lines since i had my first pint of it. This is my first stab at something in its direction. No software involved just what i'd like to be in it and a distinct revulsion to paying a fiver for a pack of hops.....

Red Tornado
15 gallon batch size aim for 5.5% to 6.5%ABV and under 200IBU theoretical
12kgs MO
4 kgs wheat malt
4 kgs Vienna malt
I kg dark crystal malt
Double Handful of Pale Chocolate malt

Caramelise first runnings, reduce 1 1/2 gallon to 3/4 gallon, dark dark but not burnt.
Add 1 kg dark Demara sugar to cameralisation process in last few minutes.
FWH with Columbus 1/2 kg 100 IBU
Try hop bursting for last 10 minutes with Apollo 19.5%(3) & Cluster 7.3%(1) 400 grmms 50 IBU
Flame out and cool for one hour with Apollo 200 grmms
Final steep for two hours Simcoe 14.2% (2), Cascade 8.2% (2) & Cluster 7.3% (2) 600 grmms
Ferment out cool with US-05
Start hopthang circulation on day 3 of fermentation with Willamette 5.7% 200grmms only for further four days.

That'll put hair on my chest! :) I'll put the numbers into Beersmith tonight but i think i'll just go for it as is, too reliant on software these days. May up the final vol a bit to offset any real madness. ;)

alfie09

Re: No trademark infringement (Not 5am saint)

Post by alfie09 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:02 pm

chirst

BeerEagle

Post by BeerEagle » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:31 pm

Chirst indeed!

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:48 pm

+1 to that!

I take it from the lack of spelling mistakes you were sober when writing the recipe?
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

musojohn

Post by musojohn » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:19 pm

'oh my sainted trousers' :o

pantsmachine

Post by pantsmachine » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:27 am

Very sober i am in Saudi Arabia, can't even blame a caffeine rush as i'd not had one for about 6 hours! I enjoyed putting the recipe together as i used no software and instead just went on what i'd like to be present in a beer along the lines of 5am saint. When i plugged the ingredients into beer smith it came out at 257 IBU & 5.5 to 7.2% ABV depending on vol between 15 to 18.5 gallons. I would never ever have put that much into a beer if i had been going on the software figures alone. There is a lesson there for me, developing recipes on software is limiting, let the mind fly free!!!!

I am going to go with it as is with maybe another kilo of sugar and a boost up to 20 gallons volume.

I'd like to split the batch three ways and go 11 gallon on the US-05, 4 gallon on Duvel/Chimay and 5 gallon on Brett C alone. Also going to chuck in a handful of roast barley for colour but only a handful.

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:43 pm

Brilliant.........all my brewing (well most) is thrown together recipes, usually stuff I know will work though! Don't let anyone tell you to reduce the cascade by 5g or move one of the hops to a different boil time :lol:

I'm looking forward to the results
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

jonnyt

Post by jonnyt » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:44 pm

Wouldn't it taste very burnt with all that Crystal?

pantsmachine

Post by pantsmachine » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:03 pm

jonnyt wrote:Wouldn't it taste very burnt with all that Crystal?
Good point but in this case no as the wort volume is large and dark crystal isn't too crystally (tech term).

http://www.worcesterhopshop.co.uk/produ ... cts_id=100

Using it for colour mostly and adding to that with a bit of pale choc, roast Barley and then caramelisation.

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:19 pm

Get some brewday pics up pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!!

Lugsy

Post by Lugsy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:00 pm

That's one ridiculous recipe - 1/2kg FWH? I like the cut of your jib! It'll either be hideous or (and I'm leaning more towards this one) awesome! :twisted:

I'm sure all the variations will be great but it's the Brett C version I'm most looking forward to hearing about.

Go for it and please post it when you do it :D

pantsmachine

Post by pantsmachine » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:07 pm

Ah, ye of little faith! I have made 200 IBU theoretical IPA's in the past and they are gobsmackingly stunning in a very good way(thanks for coming down on the side of positivity by the way). Admittedly they need 6 months to mature and are only really hitting their stride after the first year. Truly like no other beers out there as price gets in the way of commercial entities making beer like this. The potential difference being (i'm being serious now) that i have not tried FWH up to that theoretical level and every FWH beer i have made has been accessible far earlier than the old just chuck em into a rolling boil approach that i used to take when brewing high IBU IPA's

I am also thinking of going for the full Durden circle 2 hour boil. Might as well. Also what with my offshore rota it is likely that this won't be brewed until December(but it will be brewed). This timing works well for the main body slow cool ferment a la historical Scottish IPA's. I don't want to rush it as this will be consumed over quite a long period of time. Got to hide a couple of dozen in a loft for 5 years down the road.

Synergy of the olde World and New? Or just a load of old bollocks made up by some brewing scrote, oh who can know with these things? :lol:

Cheers

P.

Lugsy

Post by Lugsy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:42 am

Don't get me wrong - I'm a big fan of ridiculous recipes! I did a DIPA a while back that used 560g of hops for 14 litres of finished beer, it came out at around 10% and a theoretical 187 IBU and is improving with age quite nicely. I don't have a lot of experience of FWH but I was lucky enough to try a beer that pdtnc made which used 200g of Amarillo FWH in a 5 gallon batch (I think) - it was nearly 2 years old when I drank it and it was incredible. The bitterness had subsided massively and the flavours were unlike anything I'd had before. I have no idea what the fresh beer was like, you'd have to ask pdtnc about it if you want an idea of how it developed over time, but I would say keeping a few back for a while is an excellent plan.

L

pantsmachine

Post by pantsmachine » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:15 am

I would liked to have seen the DIPA! My heart dropped when i read it was 14ltrs, awfully easy to cane through a volume like that and then be sitting regretting the goneness of it all(i did this many time on my first 5 gallon set up). The best analogy i can think of to describe FWH is 'not pouring boiling water onto the tea as it scalds the leaves'. Its worth a go to see if you can taste the difference. I won't say anything else in case of a placebo effect. if you do fancy trying it just run your wort onto the bed of hops that you would normally put into the kettle as your boil hops. I am sure i'll be in touch with Ade on this one.

Cheers

P.

Lugsy

Post by Lugsy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:56 pm

I can dig out the DIPA recipe if you like and post it up here for you.

Yes, that is a problem with smaller batches - it started off closer to 18 litres but what with the trub and the amount you lose to 200g of dry hops I only ended up with 14 litres - a gallon of that went into a demijohn and was bretted with the dregs of a bottle of Mikkeller "Wheat is the new hops" and I bottled the rest as it was. That gave me a grand total of 27 330ml bottles of the most expensive beer I've ever made at about a quid a bottle :shock: The bretted version is still in the demijohn, I really should get it bottled soon as I think it's stopped fermenting now. It'll be interesting to see how that develops over the next few months - it certainly tastes different from the original version now, a lot dryer with sort of cognac type flavours going on. Fascinating indeed :)

Cheers,

L