Dark Mild Grainbills (reference)

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
barney

Re: Dark Mild Grainbills (reference)

Post by barney » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:50 pm

might be something to with bulk storage

beernsurfing

Post by beernsurfing » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:05 am

I really like pale choc in mine, so nice. Mine are on the drier side, but i like them like that. I recently did one mashed at 70c, which finished at 1.016. I didn't find it too full bodied, and it was nice, but i didn't pick much difference between the usual ones that finish around 1.010. Might need to up the crystal, though, like i said they both seem to come out nice, so no real rush to change too much. I just got some brown malt that i will try in small amounts, just to see.

Such a good style.

I just bought a candy thermometer, after seeing a blog about invet sugar in brewing ( pretty sure its a UK blog ). Im going tio make some and try it in a mild, just to see if it makes a difference. Some people claim you cant taste a difference between invert and plain table sugar ( sucrose ), but some people claim there is a definate flavour contribution. Thermo was 8 bucks, so its worth a try!

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:21 am

My most recent mild has just started its cold conditioning so I'm yet to learn what about it worked or didn't. The tastes I have had so far suggest it is likely to be really good. The main contributor to its character is some brown malt I used that was kilned over oak. I also like chocolate and have a combination of chocolate and special B in there with the crystal at 11.6%. I agree with Seymour about getting a little more mouth feel into a dark mild but I feel about this for all my dark beers, probably the visual appearance makes you expect it. I used some torry (5.6%), not sure yet whether it was enough so an aspect to look for in a couple of weeks time. Bitterness is low (15.4 IBU) which allows the malt to shine but I do wonder whether the recipe separates it from Porter enough to really call it a Mild.

I mashed a little low compared to others (65) and finished at 1.010, fermenting around 20c the whole way so it may drink a little thinner than I would like but the jury is still out, bump in a couple of weeks :)
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

critch

Post by critch » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:07 am

seymour wrote: Higsons Mild/Best Mild
Mild Ale Malt: 71%
Wheat: 11%
Crystal Malt: 6%
Chocolate Malt: 3.5%
Sugar: 8.5%

i can help with this one seymour, origionally this was 3.2% but the recipe was also done at 3.5%. the one listed is a higsons mild recipe but not the most used one(ive got lots of notes from the brewhouse records that i had access to when we recreated the brand :wink: )

higsons mild
pale ale malt 74.6%
crystal malt 10%
wheat malt 10%
chocolate malt 5.4% get the grain bill to 1.031-2
invert sugar no. 2(near enough tate and lyles golden cane syrup 76% fermentable) enough to give 3 points gravity
mash @67.c for 60 mins
mix of bramling x 1st gold fuggles and goldings to give 22 ibus(all equal bittering amounts)@fwh with .5g styrian golding per imp gall @0

og 1.034-5 fg 1008 yeasties, higgies had a triploid stain thats a bitch to keep(brewlabs have it) but wlp0002 is good enough(so's notty!)

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:29 pm

critch wrote:
seymour wrote: Higsons Mild/Best Mild
Mild Ale Malt: 71%
Wheat: 11%
Crystal Malt: 6%
Chocolate Malt: 3.5%
Sugar: 8.5%
i can help with this one seymour, origionally this was 3.2% but the recipe was also done at 3.5%. the one listed is a higsons mild recipe but not the most used one(ive got lots of notes from the brewhouse records that i had access to when we recreated the brand :wink: )

higsons mild
pale ale malt 74.6%
crystal malt 10%
wheat malt 10%
chocolate malt 5.4% get the grain bill to 1.031-2
invert sugar no. 2(near enough tate and lyles golden cane syrup 76% fermentable) enough to give 3 points gravity
mash @67.c for 60 mins
mix of bramling x 1st gold fuggles and goldings to give 22 ibus(all equal bittering amounts)@fwh with .5g styrian golding per imp gall @0

og 1.034-5 fg 1008 yeasties, higgies had a triploid stain thats a bitch to keep(brewlabs have it) but wlp0002 is good enough(so's notty!)
Great stuff, thank you so much Critch! Yeah, a triple yeast strain culture would be a nightmare to keep in balance! Very interesting. I didn't realize you revived the Higson's brand, cool. Was that through Liverpool Organic Brewery?

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:27 pm

beernsurfing wrote:
I just bought a candy thermometer, after seeing a blog about invet sugar in brewing ( pretty sure its a UK blog ). Im going tio make some and try it in a mild, just to see if it makes a difference. Some people claim you cant taste a difference between invert and plain table sugar ( sucrose ), but some people claim there is a definate flavour contribution. Thermo was 8 bucks, so its worth a try!

Make sure you use unrefined sugar when making it. And there is a definite flavour contribution from the darker syrups

This is the best guide I've found, might be the same one
http://www.unholymess.com/blog/beer-bre ... ers-invert

beernsurfing

Post by beernsurfing » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:59 am

Thanks mate, I used raw sugar, and it ended up a bit darker than golden syrup. Recipe planned already, hope to brew in a few days. Im thinking of just using MO and the syrup in a bitter. Oh yeah, that is the blog I used.

seymour

Post by seymour » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:13 pm

beernsurfing wrote:...Im thinking of just using MO and the syrup in a bitter...
Similar to Timothy Taylor Ram Tam, which is simply their Landlord (100% Golden Promise) + caramel syrup.

beernsurfing

Post by beernsurfing » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:54 am

I ended up using 19% invert syrup (medium) in a mild. Its fermenting now, so im hoping i'll taste it. I mashed at 70c to compensate. Today I did some with demerara, so yummy!!

seymour

Post by seymour » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:03 pm

BUMP.

I'm trying to research some old-timey Manchester milds. Anyone have recipes for any Websters or Wilsons dark milds?

Anyone else know some milds not listed here? Anyone?

owenm
Sober

Post by owenm » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:23 pm

There are recipes for Oldham & Boddingtons milds on Ron Pattinson's blog from last year... http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... -mild.html. Always an interesting read.

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:04 pm

FUBAR wrote:
boingy wrote:This:
seymour wrote: Arkell's Mash Tun Mild
Pale Malt: 70%
Crystal Malt: 25%
Chocolate Malt: 5%
made me go :shock: :shock: :shock:
Has anyone brewed that one? My rule of thumb for Crystal is 10% max. I might have to try a small batch of that one, just to see...
Will let you know shortly as that is my next planned brewday on the 28th,not a small batch will be 47ltrs :lol:,the ammount of Crystal is why I have picked this recipe,fancied a chewy Malty meal in a glass.Going to split it between two FV's using Windsor in one and S04 in the other.
Got around to brewing this at last today,smelt lovely going into the FV's and ended up 4 points above target OG.The yeasts certainly seem to like it both FV's are up and away within 2 hours of pitching.
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:49 pm

Pilfered from a post Ron made on milds on beer advocate

December 22nd 1950 Whitbread Best Ale
Mild malt 4.50 lb 57.69%
Pale malt 2.50 lb 32.05%
Crystal malt 0.40 lb 5.13%
No.3 invert sugar 0.40 lb 5.13%
Caramel
Fuggles 60 min 1.00 oz
Goldings 30 min 1.00 oz
OG 1031
FG 1009
ABV 2.91
Apparent attenuation 70.97%
IBU 28
SRM 28
Mash at 145º F
Sparge at 165º F
Boil time 90 minutes
pitching temp 65º F
Yeast Wyeast 1098 British ale - dry

The caramel is enough to get the colour to 28 SRM.

seymour

Post by seymour » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:43 pm

Hanglow wrote:Pilfered from a post Ron made on milds on beer advocate...
Cool, thanks. Good find, that one isn't even in his Mild book!

DaveyT
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by DaveyT » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:59 pm

I've done that Arkell recipe twice now and it's fantastic. Well worth a shot.

Anybody tried molasses in a mild? I've got a pound burning a hole in my cupboard.
Evolution didn't end with us growing thumbs.
Bill Hicks