anyone tried citra and amarillo?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
alfie09

anyone tried citra and amarillo?

Post by alfie09 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:22 pm

going to try making a hoppy pale ale recipe using these. just pale malt. magnum for bittering, amarillo + citra end of boil and a massive dry hop with both? looking at 60min additions, 10min addition, 5min addition after reading the trial on here saying it gave the best flavour/aroma?. massive 100 gram dry hop? 50g amarillo pellets 50grams citra pellets?

any ideas if this sounds ok?

Barley Water
Under the Table

Re: anyone tried citra and amarillo?

Post by Barley Water » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:53 pm

That should work out just fine. I'm currently in the middle of dry hopping an American IPA with Amarillo and Mozaic, it will smell like a hop yard. :D
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

NOZ
Piss Artist

Post by NOZ » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:59 pm

Hi mate,

Ive made a few ipa's using this combo.
I did the 50/50 dry hop as well - results are excellent! Not sure about my amarillo tho as its got a tramp sweat aroma!
On first tasting a few weeks ago i found it a cat piss and tramp sweat sensation!

Its mellowed out now and the citrus has deffo punched through and the onion/garlic aroma has faded - im thinking my amarillo is another hop!

I think the hop combo goes excellent together.

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:56 pm

I seem to have an almost onion and garlic aroma in my Amarillo ale. Is it characteristic? I'm not sure I'm that into it.

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Matt12398 wrote:I seem to have an almost onion and garlic aroma in my Amarillo ale. Is it characteristic? I'm not sure I'm that into it.
:-k Might stick to the Cascade for dry hopping pales.
Best wishes

Dave

NOZ
Piss Artist

Post by NOZ » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:10 pm

Where did you get the amarillo from, mine were brupacs I think.
Ive never had the onion aroma from amarillo and ive used them in 5 or so brews.
This batch seems to be a bit on the funky side!

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:16 pm

Some people say that Amarillo reminds them of cat pee or BO... not witnessed that (to my taste) in my beers yet though, just citrus-like flavours. I've heard of garlic/onion with summit though, so I guess anythings possible. Currently brewing a simco/cascade/amerillo one which smells very grapefuity - I'll try to pay attention for any onion/garlic etc when its ready.

Cheers
Kev
Kev

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:12 pm

Mine was from Worcester Hop Shop. It's weird because I always picked up a funny taste that was along these lines. I think it's mellowing over time but I put it down to perhaps too lengthy a dry hop.

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:17 pm

Gee that's wierd, I have never tasted garlic/onion using any of those hops. Using those three hops I would expect a very citrisy/grapefruit/pinetree type flavor and aroma. Cascade is of course famous for that grapefruit/pinetree thing. Both Amarillo and Simcoe are pretty agressive and extremly aeromatic, try some Dogfish Head 60 sometime, you will get a sample of what those two hops can do in a very well made beer.
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA

stevetk189
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by stevetk189 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:11 am

This is very odd re the garlic/onion aroma. I've read folks finding it with Apollo hops yet i've not had it once! However, I've had occasional bottles recently of a pale ale I brew using cascade that have had a hint of onion - never been there before. Is this an American hop thing which is beginning to raise it's head?
My Craft Brewery in France - Brasserie Artisanale en Limousin
My Craft Distillery in France - French Gin

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:14 pm

I brewed an Apollo pale with my brother a few weeks ago and on tasting it nothing more than a pleasant taste. It's funny we're all getting it with different hops. Maybe it's not the hops at all.

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:07 pm

I've brewed Citra and delta which came out very american pale ale. Nice beer. I'd be temped to go over 50% citra and if you want to throw loads at it skip bittering and get all your bitterness from late hopping

BigAde

Post by BigAde » Wed May 01, 2013 11:10 am

I have used amarillo alone and amarillo + citra (keeping the same grain bill). I prefer the aroma of amarillo and citra but I found that using citra at 20mins & 5mins increased the bitterness somewhat. I prefer the smoother bitterness of the amarillo single hop brew. When I rebrew this I will try using amarillo for 60min and 20min and use citra at 5min only to reduce its impact on bitterness. It is another brew plan added to the growing list!

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Fri May 03, 2013 7:02 pm

Well if I were you BigAde, I would use something like Warrior for bittering and save your Amarillo for the later additions. Warrior will give you smooth bittering and it's a high alpha hop but it's lousy for late hopping because the aroma isn't there. Especially with really hoppy beers, you end up getting alot of waste because of the hop sludge so anything you can do to cut down on the vegial matter in the boiler is a good thing. I'm sure that Amarillo will also give you good, smooth bittering but you'll lose all those nice aromas due to the lenthy boil. It is akin to making love to Beyonce in the dark; sure it's good but it can be so much better in the light where you get the full effect. Know what I mean? :D

NOZ
Piss Artist

Post by NOZ » Tue May 14, 2013 7:01 pm

Well just tried another pint of my amarillo and citra brew and its bang on now - the catpiss and tramp odour has gone and what im tasting now is quite citrusy and there is a mellow orange note on the nose and comes through as the bitterness hits (a bit like orange pith) Really like this brew and combo - brewing this again at weekend.