Teutonic Tuechter 80/-

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
koomber

Teutonic Tuechter 80/-

Post by koomber » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:15 pm

Just wanting a bit of feedback on a Scottish (-ish) Ale I'm planning. Since (I believe) it is important that the Malt is the dominant character I was thinking about using Munich Malt for the base malt of this particular beverage:

3.00 kg Munich Malt (7.6 SRM)
0.31 kg Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
0.20 kg Amber Malt (53 SRM)
0.17 kg CaraAroma (200 SRM)
0.20 kg Crystal 60L (66 SRM)
0.10 kg 'Medium' Peat Smoked Malt (2.8 SRM)

Estimate Colour: 16.9 SRM

Was thinking about Mashing at a high temp to get a Full body beer. According to Beetsmith 70°C for 45 minutes. Although, maybe a medium body would be better...

Help with Hops and Yeast
As for hopping I'm not sure and could do with some advice, I was thinking about going for just 10gm of Warrior for 60 minutes to give me about 20IBU.

On the other hand, I'm also thinking about continuing the German theme and Going for 50gm Hallertauer Hops for 60 minutes, and another 50gm at 30 minutes. The aim is to get the bitterness, but also some Flavour/Aroma. I'm hoping that the noble character will work well with the firm body and the smoked malt, but maybe I'm wrong. This plan will give 30 IBU, but I think it might actually be better due to the large amount of dark malts in the beer.

I'm a bit limited on yeast at the moment, basically the usual dry suspects, a Wyeast Ringwood and a White Labs Duvel style yeast. Not sure which would be best. I'm less concerned about a 'to style' beer and more interested in a tasty beverage :) So feel free to be creative.

Any advice would be gratefully received.