Standard Brown Ale

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Cazamodo

Re: Standard Brown Ale

Post by Cazamodo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:25 pm

Finally got aroudn to bottling these two today. I had split it into two 10L batches.

I must say a taster is not what I expected... It was... sweeter than I imagined, but not a usual sweet taste. It was worrying!

Ill give them a couple of weeks to bottle condition before I do a real taste, but I couldnt spot the difference as of yet. And I hope sitting in the ferm chamber for 3 weeks hasnt added any off flavours!

boingy

Post by boingy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:41 pm

Did you check the SG?

Cazamodo

Post by Cazamodo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:41 pm

Yep. Was 1.012 in each. (that was with 40g sugar to prime in each since I forgot to take the reading before I added it)

wilfh
Piss Artist

Post by wilfh » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:47 am

I've done the Sam smiths and it was good but not quite the clone. Mind had a much more pronounced coffee flavour which perhaps came from too much chocolate(?). (I'm not at all sure about this)
Wilf

Cazamodo

Post by Cazamodo » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:55 am

Tried this today, after just under two weeks conditioning... Not sure what I make of it... Seems slightly too hoppy/bitter for the style to me but maybe this will change with time.

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:49 pm

Interesting that you thought it was too sweet when uncarbonated yet now you think it too bitter. Likely that is because the carbonation is making the beer seem dryer and also I bet you are serving it cooler which will tend to have the same effect (plus of course you burned off the carbonating sugar). You will find that as the beer ages the hops will tend to mellow out and the flavors of the beer will also tend to meld together.
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

ben034
Steady Drinker

Post by ben034 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:31 am

A very old post, but has anyone brewed this recipe (from GW book) as mentioned by a previous poster. The colour states 65 EBC yet when I enter it into brewing software I get around 35 EBC (brown ale on beersmith states around 24-53EBC for a brown)? 65 would be very dark no? Thanks

charliemartin
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by charliemartin » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:32 am

Surprised nobody replied to this and this is a bit late, but this subject has been discussed on Jim's before. Graham Wheeler's brewing software uses a different calculation from others such as Beersmith. He claimed that the other brewing software used a method which was flawed and therefore his software tended to calculate a higher EBC value than they did. So any GW recipes will probably have a different EBC value from the one you get when you enter it into another form of brewing software.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Altonrea Homebrew