Founders All Day IPA?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
OilyGreasyPig

Re: Founders All Day IPA?

Post by OilyGreasyPig » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:53 pm

Rather, what did you do about your brewing water for the all day clone?

oliver tate

Post by oliver tate » Fri May 22, 2015 7:03 pm

hi,

I tried a can of founders all day IPA a while back and thought it was delicious. After reading what other people tried I settled on the following:

Maris Otter 50 %
Oats (from the supermarket) 20%
Carapils 8%
Torrified Wheat 5%
flaked maize 5%
Caramalt 7%
light crystal 5%

mash high

for 19 litres I used 1 100g bag of Amarillo and 1 100g bag of simcoe. 35grams of each were saved for dry hopping, the rest went in late boil at various stages.

s05 yeast

After a couple of weeks the beer was grassy, and left a slight tang at the back of the throat (not in the phenol alcohol way.....been there). Did not like it.

2 weeks on its an awesome beer, absolutely love it. super fruity, good mouth feel and very drinkable. its really cloudy because of the oats but who cares?

Does it taste spot on for all day? Nope. But it definitely reminds me of it and I would say the hop pairing is pretty much there. I love it and when I brew it again I wont be changing the recipe at all as I am happy with it as it is!

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:51 pm

Seymour, if I were to brew with your grist on page 1 but didn't have Flaked Maize would you recommend increasing the Oats & Torrified Wheat to 6% each or keeping 4% of each of those and making up the extra with Pale Malt?

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:03 am

DaveGillespie wrote:Seymour, if I were to brew with your grist on page 1 but didn't have Flaked Maize would you recommend increasing the Oats & Torrified Wheat to 6% each or keeping 4% of each of those and making up the extra with Pale Malt?
Flaked maize is extremely fermentable and almost flavourless, more so than any of those alternatives. I would actually substitute white table sugar (or better yet, liquid corn sugar) in the boil.

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:36 pm

If I were brewing a session IPA I think I would refrain from putting anything in the grist that would lighten up the body. I agree with Mr. Seymour, any type of corn is going to lighten the beer up as will table sugar of course. Seems like to me the whole point is to make a beer which won't knock you on your butt after a pint but at the same time deliver the hop action we all crave. I think oats are a very good idea as they are a body builder. When I make regular IPA (say about 1.065 O.G.) I generally refrain from using any crystal malt (it's just a personal preference) but for a session IPA I would likely opt to add some as I would think the increase in body and some residual sweetness would be a good thing. I would also look for a less attenuative yeast strain for the same reason. Maybe it's my American taste but a 4% beer is gonna come off as thin unless you start employing some of our little brewing tricks to try and trick the drinker. :D
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

RobWalker

Post by RobWalker » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:42 pm

seymour wrote:
DaveGillespie wrote:Seymour, if I were to brew with your grist on page 1 but didn't have Flaked Maize would you recommend increasing the Oats & Torrified Wheat to 6% each or keeping 4% of each of those and making up the extra with Pale Malt?
Flaked maize is extremely fermentable and almost flavourless, more so than any of those alternatives. I would actually substitute white table sugar (or better yet, liquid corn sugar) in the boil.
I've read before that a decent amount can give a "corny" taste to the beer. I wonder how true that is and even if it's desirable at all...

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:11 pm

Yeah, if you start adding corn to beer at some point you will begin to notice it's there. I sometimes make CAP's and throwback American ales which have as much as 20% corn (I have used either flaked corn or cereal mashed ground corn). It gives you a slightly sweet, grainy flavor and it lightens up the brew. I personally like the effect. The reason us Yanks started doing that was because we had only 6 row barley which is inferior to 2 row pils malt. That stuff has more protein than 2 row giving you a cloudy brew unless you cut it with something. Since we have corn coming out the wazoo over here we started doing that which lead to the flavorless adjunct lagers. You don't need to make flavorless beer though just because there is corn in it, it's just another tool you can use to manipulate the flavor of your brew. I use about 15% corn in an English IPA specifically because I want to lighten it up a bit (and I have read somewhere that brewers in the UK were doing that also for exactly the same reason). :D
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

pduk
Steady Drinker

Post by pduk » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:28 pm

I've just finished a brew day today on the Braumeister, trying Seymour's original recipe from the start of the thread. I was amazed by the whole US IPA revolution when I visited Boulder in 2014, but was also rather surprised at the high ABV of a typical beer. I suppose it explains why the locals seemed to appear for one or two beers after work then run off home rather than settling in for a few hours :-)

Anyway a work colleague gave me a can of the All Day IPA the other week after a conversation along those lines, and I loved it. If I can make something even vaguely like the Founders brew I'll be happy. I got some Zythos pellets through ebid and it's my first time with pellets as well... I will report back in a few weeks with how it turned out.

Paul.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:58 am

Found this through Google again and I see there has been a user cull! Haha.
Morrisons are currently stocking All Day IPA on 4 for £6. If it's as good as I remember I might revisit the recipe and clone it again, see what info I can pull up.