Looking for deceptively good low gravity recipes

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
darkonnis

Re: Looking for deceptively good low gravity recipes

Post by darkonnis » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:42 pm

I'd be tempted to use a lot of the darker crystal malts as they tend to have some really nice toffee flavours and I've found that (in my porters/stouts) using darker grains adds mouthfeel without giving that god awful charred coffee overpowering intensity which drowns everything else out. Biscuit, vienna, munich, and dark crystal, not to mention caramalt and amber malt all add excellent body depending on how light/dark you wish to go.

For sessions IPA's (this is one I've been thinking about) I reckon the key is to use the bittering hops sparingly to the point where you get next to nothing from them then hop very late with quite a lot for the flavour and aroma. That'll bring the bitterness up a bit (remember its only 3%ish as a session ale) but stop it becoming unbalanced and like a weak punk clone.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:45 pm

I had that Adnams beer a couple of weeks ago- amazing stuff, without a doubt the best sub 3% beer I've had.

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:14 pm

The one brewdog did that 0.5% is worth a look too, I tried it and whilst it is a bit beery it's also a bit odd. All the same for 0.5% it's pretty good!

Ben711200

Post by Ben711200 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:51 pm

All being taken on board, thanks guys.

Unfortunately, my lack of temp control and the ridiculous weather has put a stop to any brewing for at least another week or so. I'm tempted to risk it and use Nottingham as it's pretty resistant to most temperature issues.. That said, I don't want to waste my time on rubbish beer either.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:00 pm

For what it's worth, I'm loving Windsor at high temps lately. Perfect for low-grav, big-flavoured ales too.

Ben711200

Post by Ben711200 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:13 pm

How high is high though, Seymour? It's been hitting 28 (82F) around here the last few days. Being a grumpy Englishman, I'm not enjoying the experience and am relishing my time sat in an airconditioned office at work!

super_simian
Piss Artist

Post by super_simian » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:03 pm

FFS, you should barely be breaking a sweat at 28 you big Jess. Perfect weather for brewing a saison too!

seymour

Post by seymour » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:39 pm

Ben711200 wrote:How high is high though, Seymour? It's been hitting 28 (82F) around here the last few days. Being a grumpy Englishman, I'm not enjoying the experience and am relishing my time sat in an airconditioned office at work!
Darn near that. The corner where my fermenter sits is mid to upper 70s°F, right now, and active fermentation drives it a few degrees higher yet. I'm getting lots of fruity esters without any harsh fusel alcohols, which is just what I was hoping for.

+1 to Saison. German Alt yeast also works well in the heat, in my experience.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:27 pm

I was surprised just how fruity some of the Alt beers were in Dusseldorf, so I think that would be a good shout.

seymour

Post by seymour » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:33 pm

mysterio wrote:I was surprised just how fruity some of the Alt beers were in Dusseldorf, so I think that would be a good shout.
Yeah, I'm glad to hear that. I haven't been to Germany personally, but you confirmed my impressions from the few bottled imports I've tasted. I think this is another style where the "official competition guidelines" get it wrong, having led everyone to believe Alt is simply an ale fermented version of a super-clean German lager.