Seymour Citra Gold

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Uncle Joshua

Re: Seymour Citra Gold

Post by Uncle Joshua » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:35 pm

soupdragon wrote:Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh that's better :beer:

Cheers Tom
Everybody loves Citra Gold.

Uncle Joshua

Post by Uncle Joshua » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:35 pm

soupdragon wrote:Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh that's better :beer:

Cheers Tom
Everybody loves Citra Gold.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:16 pm

Cracking stuff :D

Cheers Tom

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:30 pm

I enjoyed my last stab at this and I've a keg free and this is a great summer beer. I played around last time and used half an orange and half a grapefruit peel to recreate bitter orange. This time I think a whole of each. I'm also wondering what if I use endeavour for bittering and at 30 m then finish with citra. The other question is do I keep it clean or use Belgian yeast again?

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:27 am

Seymour. Dark star have stolen your recipe. They've started brewing an orange flavoured light ale called Seville. It's quite nice although your take is still the better. You should ask for royalties!

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:01 am

Does the orange peel really add a difference? If so, how much do you need?

I'm quite surprised that the delicate oils that provide the beautiful flavour in orange zest survive a 5 minute boil.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:29 pm

Give me a couple of weeks and I'll tell you. The basic answer is yes. The Citra Gold dials the citra back and let's the orange come through. According to Randy Mosher bitter orange is the fruit of choice and if you can't get that go half and half grapefruit and orange. My first attempt was half orange half grapefruit. Bril. The one I keg tomorrow is a whole grapefruit and a whole blood orange. If it's too much I'll let you know

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:01 am

Jocky wrote:Does the orange peel really add a difference? If so, how much do you need?
Yeah, it makes a difference for sure. The quantity is up to you, you could start with one citrus fruit and build from there.
Jocky wrote:I'm quite surprised that the delicate oils that provide the beautiful flavour in orange zest survive a 5 minute boil.
It definitely still smells and tastes of orange. I mean, think about it: so does orange marmalade, and it gets boiled over an hour, concentrated down actually.

You should definitely try it out sometime. Nice in dark ales, too. Just imagine a chocolate orange porter...mmmmm...

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:20 am

The latest thing on the craft beer front seems to be Breakfast Stout. That might take orange quite well!

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:17 pm

seymour wrote:
Jocky wrote:Does the orange peel really add a difference? If so, how much do you need?
Yeah, it makes a difference for sure. The quantity is up to you, you could start with one citrus fruit and build from there.
Kegged mine on 4th April. Been working all day. Had a quick spin with the hood down to clear the cobwebs and am now sitting in the garden enjoying the late afternoon sum and my first pint of this batch of SCG. Who says there isn't poetry in beer. I reckon I'll be positively lyrical shortly. But on the question of how much citrus I have my answer. I went for 1 orange 1 grapefruit to replicate Seville/bitter orange. And it's good but next time I'll go with half a grapefruit as that's coming through just a tad too much. Still a very refreshing drop.

seymour

Post by seymour » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:51 am

Here's a follow-up you might be interested in: SEYMOUR CITRA DARK

SMASH3R
Piss Artist

Post by SMASH3R » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:58 pm

Brewed this a couple of weeks ago. It's still in the fermenter smelling lovely, but I popped in 20g of citra and 20g of centennial dry hops. I will bottle up on Friday or Saturday, and probably have a crack at Citra Dark on Sunday. Mmmmm, beer :)

seymour

Post by seymour » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:32 pm

Glad to hear it, SMASH3R, I hope you enjoy them both. Cheers!

mr pharmacist
Sober

Post by mr pharmacist » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:08 pm

I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post.

I brewed this a few weeks back for a BBQ we were having. I have to say it was very popular and the batch didn't last the night!

I've brewed some more now - first time I have repeated a recipe!

thanks Seymour! I think I'll have a go at the Citra Dark too

seymour

Post by seymour » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:34 am

mr pharmacist wrote:I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post.

I brewed this a few weeks back for a BBQ we were having. I have to say it was very popular and the batch didn't last the night!

I've brewed some more now - first time I have repeated a recipe!

thanks Seymour! I think I'll have a go at the Citra Dark too
So glad to hear you all enjoyed it. Thanks for the shout out!