Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter Clone Recipe

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
molehill

Re: Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter Clone Recipe

Post by molehill » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:56 am

I did read somewhere that raising the temp to 21-22c for the last 24 hours will finish any remaining activity?

Pegasus
Steady Drinker

Post by Pegasus » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:00 pm

Brother & I had a few pints if this brew yesterday. Yeast was WLP002, fermented for 3 weeks at 19C (SG 1.047, FG 1.013, 4.5%ABV), bottled 6 weeks ago. Tasted v nice but not like Harvey's 'Best' (or 'Armada' at that strength). We both agreed it tasted just like Fuller's 'London Pride' - quelle surprise!

What have others' brews tasted like?

molehill

Post by molehill » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:27 pm

Having had 5 attempts at this brew using wlp002, wlp005 and Sussex1 I concluded it did not taste like the real thing. I am desperate to get some Harvey's live yeast.... Anyone prepared to offer a slant or small tube I would send postage in advance. [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:26 pm

I drank a lot of it at a wedding Saturday (pin on gravity) just superb, in my view uncloneable, sadly. :cry:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:31 pm

orlando wrote:I drank a lot of it at a wedding Saturday (pin on gravity) just superb, in my view uncloneable, sadly. :cry:
Shame you didnt "rescue" said pin at the end of the event m8 - would have been loaded with yeast.....
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:54 pm

Pinto wrote:
orlando wrote:I drank a lot of it at a wedding Saturday (pin on gravity) just superb, in my view uncloneable, sadly. :cry:
Shame you didnt "rescue" said pin at the end of the event m8 - would have been loaded with yeast.....
It was me that needed rescuing. :oops:

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:13 pm

Today i bottled/kegged this brew, obviously it's a little early to tell exactly how close to the original it is but boy did it smell good, and the little taste i had certainly puts it in the right ball park. Next week i will get a couple of bottles of Harveys from the off license so i can do a side by side comparison.

The only slight problem i had was that it finished a little high, 1.012 rather 1.010. The next two weeks can't go quick enough :D

orlando

Post by orlando » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:26 am

Bazz wrote:Today i bottled/kegged this brew, obviously it's a little early to tell exactly how close to the original it is but boy did it smell good, and the little taste i had certainly puts it in the right ball park. Next week i will get a couple of bottles of Harveys from the off license so i can do a side by side comparison.

The only slight problem i had was that it finished a little high, 1.012 rather 1.010. The next two weeks can't go quick enough :D
My money would be on that beer to continue fermenting in the bottle so you will probably get down there eventually.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:48 pm

Maybe, it was steady at 1.012 for three days, it may not last long enough to get down if it goes slowly 8)

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:52 pm

Well I've tried a couple of pints of this now and it is spot on, I had a couple of Harvey's of the weekend just to familiarise my taste buds with it, and I reckon that anyone would have trouble telling the difference. I'm well chuffed, so thanks Seymour for such a fantastic recipe.

molehill

Post by molehill » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:54 am

Congratulations, =D> =D> =D> =D>

I plan to repeat this recipe the weekend, so hopefully I will be as fortunate? :D

Pegasus
Steady Drinker

Post by Pegasus » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:11 pm

Bazz wrote:Cheers molehill, i'm actually away next week until Friday so it'll stay in primary at 18 degC until then and when i return i'll take a gravity reading and if it appears done i'll cold crash for the weekend and then keg Monday evening after work. This is the first time i've used Sussex 1 or indeed any yeast from a slant, but i was pretty impressed with the way it behaved whilst stepping it up, it seems to ferment really fast then drop out like a stone, with some wonderful aromas just in the DME solution.
Nice 1 Bazz - looks like you've cracked it :D

Seems to be different experiences with Sussex1 dropping out (or not). Looks like you fermented at 18C for 16 days or did you cold crash for a couple of days before bottling? Any pointers for the rest of us?

Recently discussed the possibility of getting some barrel sediment with my friendly publican (Harvey's pub) - the colour drained from his face and basically said "he's not allowed..." :cry:

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:52 pm

Thanks Pegasus, I fermented for 12 days at 18C then raised it to 21C for 2 days, then cold crashed for 2 days, no real pointers except follow Seymours recipe and use Sussex 1 for the yeast, I found it to be excellent.

Seems strange that your friendly publican can't give you the dregs of the barrel seeing as Harvey's are apparently happy to give it away at the brewery if you call, and of course it's in the polypins that you can buy as well.

Good luck with your attempt.

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:59 pm

Just to add to my last post, one thing that i did do that wasn't on Seymours recipe was to add some minerals to the water. Now i haven't really got into the water adjusting side of this hobby yet (I will) but as the owner of my LHBS, who lives a couple of streets away from me, assures me that our water is fine for brewing and tells me he has won competitions with his ale without even de-chlorinating it first. But i read on the Brewlabs website that the Sussex 1 yeast prefers high mineral worts, so between what my LHBS told me and what i've read in Graham Wheelers BYOBRA book i added 10g of Gypsum (5 in the mash and 5 in the boil doing BIAB) and 1g of Epsom salts. Totally un-scientific i know but it seems to have paid off.

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:59 pm

Bazz wrote:Today i bottled/kegged this brew, obviously it's a little early to tell exactly how close to the original it is but boy did it smell good, and the little taste i had certainly puts it in the right ball park. Next week i will get a couple of bottles of Harveys from the off license so i can do a side by side comparison.

Harvey's Best finishes at 1.008. I've seen the brew sheet with my own eyes.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=52101