Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter Clone Recipe

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Post Reply
User avatar
Hanglow
Under the Table
Posts: 1338
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:24 pm

Re: Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter Clone Recipe

Post by Hanglow » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:17 pm

I noticed Ron Pattinson put up a couple of blogs about his visit to Harveys, confirmed that the yeast was originally from John Smiths sixty years ago :)


http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... t-two.html
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... three.html
Planned: Green Hop ale
Fermenting: Nothing
Bottled: Home grown Halletau Mittelfruh golden ale, centennial golden ale, Brown Kolsch, Strong Burton with Brett C

User avatar
orlando
It's definitely Lock In Time
Posts: 6750
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter Clone Recipe

Post by orlando » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:10 pm

Hanglow wrote:I noticed Ron Pattinson put up a couple of blogs about his visit to Harveys, confirmed that the yeast was originally from John Smiths sixty years ago :)


http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... t-two.html
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... three.html
I've had the same privilege as Ron. This brewery and its product is quite simply sublime. My fervent hope is that nothing ever changes, you cannot improve on perfection. This is what British Beer is! =D>
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting: I Am A Patriot (Lacons Patriot clone)
Conditioning:
Drinking: From Russia With Love (RIS), Peaches, Reasons To Be Beerful, Someone, Somewhere, In Summertime

Up Next: Twist & Stout, Reasons To Be Beerful (Part Two)
Planning: Autumn drinking Beer.

User avatar
FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Posts: 649
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:12 pm
Location: Lenham Kent

Re: Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter Clone Recipe

Post by FUBAR » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:13 am

orlando wrote:
Hanglow wrote:I noticed Ron Pattinson put up a couple of blogs about his visit to Harveys, confirmed that the yeast was originally from John Smiths sixty years ago :)


http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... t-two.html
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... three.html
I've had the same privilege as Ron. This brewery and its product is quite simply sublime. My fervent hope is that nothing ever changes, you cannot improve on perfection. This is what British Beer is! =D>
Amen to that, Harvey's Best is pure nectar and the brewery set a benchmark that others should aspire too .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/


I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

User avatar
IPA
Under the Table
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:29 am
Location: France Gascony

Re: Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter Clone Recipe

Post by IPA » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:31 am

Hi Seymour
I have recently brewed this beer with the recipe you posted. I
used the yeast recovered from a bottle of Harvey's stout and it is amazing.
I have also just received an email from a "customer" saying that it is the
best beer that I have brewed.
Many thanks
Ian
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

dshar
Steady Drinker
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:45 pm
Location: Landan tawn

Re: Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter Clone Recipe

Post by dshar » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:30 am

Hi all,
I posted this question on a seperate thread and hoped for some ideas.
I brewed Seymours recipe with Windsor yeast and it turned out really well, one of my best bitters (I only have 10-15 under my belt). Only thing is that the there is a slightly over powering roasted taste which I assume is from the high amount of dark crystal (7%). Would it be better to use a mix of crystal and dark crystal?
anyone have similar experience?will the taste mellow with Tim?
Will use sussex1 strain nex time....
Thanks

-3.5kg m otter
280g dark crystal (7%)
200g maize
150g flaked barley

User avatar
IPA
Under the Table
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:29 am
Location: France Gascony

Re: Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter Clone Recipe

Post by IPA » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:51 am

dshar wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:30 am
Hi all,
I posted this question on a seperate thread and hoped for some ideas.
I brewed Seymours recipe with Windsor yeast and it turned out really well, one of my best bitters (I only have 10-15 under my belt). Only thing is that the there is a slightly over powering roasted taste which I assume is from the high amount of dark crystal (7%). Would it be better to use a mix of crystal and dark crystal?
anyone have similar experience?will the taste mellow with Tim?
Will use sussex1 strain nex time....
Thanks

-3.5kg m otter
280g dark crystal (7%)
200g maize
150g flaked barley

25 litres
3500 gr pale malt
275 gr crystal malt (130 EBC)
198 grams flaked maize
165 gr white sugar
26 gr black malt

90 mins
31 gr Progress
31 gr Bramling x

End of boil soak 30 mins
15 gr golding
15 gr fuggles
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

User avatar
orlando
It's definitely Lock In Time
Posts: 6750
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter Clone Recipe

Post by orlando » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:31 am

IPA wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:51 am
dshar wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:30 am
Hi all,
I posted this question on a seperate thread and hoped for some ideas.
I brewed Seymours recipe with Windsor yeast and it turned out really well, one of my best bitters (I only have 10-15 under my belt). Only thing is that the there is a slightly over powering roasted taste which I assume is from the high amount of dark crystal (7%). Would it be better to use a mix of crystal and dark crystal?
anyone have similar experience?will the taste mellow with Tim?
Will use sussex1 strain nex time....
Thanks

-3.5kg m otter
280g dark crystal (7%)
200g maize
150g flaked barley

25 litres
3500 gr pale malt
275 gr crystal malt (130 EBC)
198 grams flaked maize
165 gr white sugar
26 gr black malt

90 mins
31 gr Progress
31 gr Bramling x

End of boil soak 30 mins
15 gr golding
15 gr fuggles
My slight quibble is the white sugar and black malt. I have been to the brewery and seen and photographed the solid crystal blocks of invert sugar (blue bags) that they use and the brewers caramel/syrup (white buckets) used to adjust colour.
Image
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting: I Am A Patriot (Lacons Patriot clone)
Conditioning:
Drinking: From Russia With Love (RIS), Peaches, Reasons To Be Beerful, Someone, Somewhere, In Summertime

Up Next: Twist & Stout, Reasons To Be Beerful (Part Two)
Planning: Autumn drinking Beer.

McMullan
Drunk as a Skunk
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:48 pm
Location: Here

Re: Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter Clone Recipe

Post by McMullan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:45 pm

Any idea which number invert, Orlando? I'm not convinced with adding that much dark crystal, personally. I've brewed Seymour's recipe and it was great, but not quite Harvey's Best, to be honest.

User avatar
orlando
It's definitely Lock In Time
Posts: 6750
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter Clone Recipe

Post by orlando » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:18 pm

Sorry no. As you can see the blocks are just blue plastic, didn't see a label and wasn't, at the time, using invert so didn't follow up. If I had to guess # 3.

Sorry about the PB problem, when I first posted it was showing. Will look at another method.

Ha! Up yours PB.

Have a look at hops too. Fuggles, Bram X and Sussex Progress & Goldings. That's what is available, doesn't mean they all go in the Best Bitter.

Image

Image
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting: I Am A Patriot (Lacons Patriot clone)
Conditioning:
Drinking: From Russia With Love (RIS), Peaches, Reasons To Be Beerful, Someone, Somewhere, In Summertime

Up Next: Twist & Stout, Reasons To Be Beerful (Part Two)
Planning: Autumn drinking Beer.

dshar
Steady Drinker
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:45 pm
Location: Landan tawn

Re: Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter Clone Recipe

Post by dshar » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:29 pm

Any ideas how to get deeper colour with a slightly milder taste and will less of the roasted taste (and without sugar!)?

User avatar
orlando
It's definitely Lock In Time
Posts: 6750
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter Clone Recipe

Post by orlando » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:55 pm

dshar wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:29 pm
Any ideas how to get deeper colour with a slightly milder taste and will less of the roasted taste (and without sugar!)?
Sinamar
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting: I Am A Patriot (Lacons Patriot clone)
Conditioning:
Drinking: From Russia With Love (RIS), Peaches, Reasons To Be Beerful, Someone, Somewhere, In Summertime

Up Next: Twist & Stout, Reasons To Be Beerful (Part Two)
Planning: Autumn drinking Beer.

User avatar
orlando
It's definitely Lock In Time
Posts: 6750
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter Clone Recipe

Post by orlando » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:02 pm

McMullan wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:45 pm
Any idea which number invert, Orlando?
The link Hanglow gave to Ron's blog has the answer
On the way out of the stores we see the blocks of No. 3 invert sugar and sacks of flaked maize. A sure sign they brew the old-fashioned way here.]
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting: I Am A Patriot (Lacons Patriot clone)
Conditioning:
Drinking: From Russia With Love (RIS), Peaches, Reasons To Be Beerful, Someone, Somewhere, In Summertime

Up Next: Twist & Stout, Reasons To Be Beerful (Part Two)
Planning: Autumn drinking Beer.

deere322
Sober
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:31 pm
Location: Princeton, MN

Re: Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter Clone Recipe

Post by deere322 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:53 pm

Hello Gents,
Long time viewer, first time poster.

I plan on brewing this on Friday and only have on hand S04, Notty and a slurry of Adnams 1335 yeast.
Which would be best for this beer of the 3 yeasts I have?

User avatar
orlando
It's definitely Lock In Time
Posts: 6750
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter Clone Recipe

Post by orlando » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:29 pm

If it really is Adnam's then that one as it is a dual strain like Harvey's, but to be honest without the real thing you're just making beer. Even with the real thing the outcome would be the same.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting: I Am A Patriot (Lacons Patriot clone)
Conditioning:
Drinking: From Russia With Love (RIS), Peaches, Reasons To Be Beerful, Someone, Somewhere, In Summertime

Up Next: Twist & Stout, Reasons To Be Beerful (Part Two)
Planning: Autumn drinking Beer.

deere322
Sober
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:31 pm
Location: Princeton, MN

Re: Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter Clone Recipe

Post by deere322 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:33 pm

The 1335 is from wyeast, I'm on about the 5th iteration of a smack pack bought back in the spring.
It's a wonderful yeast. I'll go with the 1335.

Post Reply