Old hooky

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
dazer23866
Piss Artist

Old hooky

Post by dazer23866 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:25 pm

I have been brewing the old hooky recipe from GWs book for a while now and all though the book says its in the style of the beer it doesn't quite taste as the real beer does, i seem to get quite a big crystal malt hit from old hooky but not from GWs version.
my question is how much would you increase the crystal by and or should i use dark crystal instead, does anyone have a recipe that comes close to the real thing because the hook Norton brewery says they just use Marris otter,crystal and black malt, but the GW recipe uses flaked maze and sugar, the yeast i use is WLP005 as i think WLP002 leaves it to sweet.
appreciate any ideas on this please

wilfh
Piss Artist

Re: Old hooky

Post by wilfh » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:04 pm

How about substituting the sugar and maize for pale and crystal to get back to the target og. Say 50:50 of the extra malt.
That would give you more malt flavour.

dazer23866
Piss Artist

Post by dazer23866 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:44 pm

wilfh wrote:How about substituting the sugar and maize for pale and crystal to get back to the target og. Say 50:50 of the extra malt.
That would give you more malt flavour.
i think something like that is the answer ive just got the brew on now i will give that a go

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:58 pm

Roger Protz's Almanac mentions enzymic, (acid) malt also, but not black malt. Unfortunately he doesn't give any proportions for the recipe, but I think as mentioned increasing the crystal should give more malt/caramel character.
Best wishes

Dave

jimp2003

Post by jimp2003 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:04 pm

Dave's right about the enzymatic malt and no black. I posted the grain bill list from the Hook Norton Brewery tour I went on last year HERE

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:22 pm

jimp2003 wrote:Dave's right about the enzymatic malt and no black. I posted the grain bill list from the Hook Norton Brewery tour I went on last year HERE
Well that's very interesting Jim. No flaked maize or even crystal, and if HN don't know, who the f**k does?

BTW I'm glad to hear that someone else's wife hates beer. I tread on very thin ice sometimes I can tell you.

EDIT: My mistake, it does have crystal, but no FM and no black malt. I reckon you could get the right quantity of Acid Malt, (assuming no Gypsum or other calcium/ sulphate additions) by plugging it into Bru'n Water and playing around with the amount 'til you get the right mash pH.
Best wishes

Dave

dazer23866
Piss Artist

Post by dazer23866 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:45 pm

Dave S wrote:
jimp2003 wrote:Dave's right about the enzymatic malt and no black. I posted the grain bill list from the Hook Norton Brewery tour I went on last year HERE
Well that's very interesting Jim. No flaked maize or even crystal, and if HN don't know, who the f**k does?

BTW I'm glad to hear that someone else's wife hates beer. I tread on very thin ice sometimes I can tell you.

EDIT: My mistake, it does have crystal, but no FM and no black malt. I reckon you could get the right quantity of Acid Malt, (assuming no Gypsum or other calcium/ sulphate additions) by plugging it into Bru'n Water and playing around with the amount 'til you get the right mash pH.
hey let me know when you have done this :D

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:46 am

dazer23866 wrote:
Dave S wrote:

hey let me know when you have done this :D
I'm considering an Adnam's Bitter in a few months time, which also uses acid malt, so I'll have a go then. It'll be interesting because I know the amount the recipe calls for, so we'll see how it tallies with the pH calculations.
Best wishes

Dave

dazer23866
Piss Artist

Post by dazer23866 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:55 pm

thanks look forward to your results