Thwaites 13 Guns

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
InsideEdge

Thwaites 13 Guns

Post by InsideEdge » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:29 pm

Just had a pint of Thwaites 13 guns and it was superb. Best beer I've had in a while. Great blend of american hop flavours but with a lovely toffee malt taste which balances it out wonderfully. Anyone had it before or got recipe?

I'm most intrigued about what creates that lovely toffee flavour to balance the hops. I see from the blurb on the bottle it has munich and rye in the recipe. Anyone brewed with those malts and can comment? Anything to do with the Thwaites yeast? Judging by the colour perhaps it is crystal rye.

leedsbrew

Re: Thwaites 13 Guns

Post by leedsbrew » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:36 am

Fron the malt millers page on crystal rye

"PRODUCT INFORMATION
Application:-

Adjunct up to10% of grist. Main Characteristics -Dry liquorice toffee flavour.

EBC - 100 - 200"

Sounds like u could be correct!

bob3000

Post by bob3000 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:26 am

I bet yeast and fermentation have a fair amount to do with it.

Fido97

Post by Fido97 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:19 pm

Although I have not come across Thwaites 13 guns it looks like an interesting one. I notice that my local home brew shop stocks crystal rye to I picked up half a kilo to try. The concept of the toffee/liquorice flavour is interesting so I was thinking of maybe an old ale (eg Old Peculier) or a full bodied mild (eg Sarah Hughes dark ruby) with some crystal rye additions. Has anyone out there used this stuff? Cheers,

subfaction
Hollow Legs

Post by subfaction » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:58 pm

I tried this beer a few weeks ago, and thought it was superb, if anyone gets close to a clone please share!

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:28 pm

Old thread alert

I'm in the old queens head in Sheffield and have got a pint of this in front of me.
Oh yes :D
The last beer that had such an impact on me was Jaipur.

I like this beer. Need a recipe. NOW

Cheers Tom

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:35 pm

It's very good indeed

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:09 pm

When I say now, what I really mean is any time in the next 2 weeks. Must do some research. Was gob smacked that Thwaites could make such a different beer from their usual fare. Don't get me wrong, I do like their beers but this one is a million miles away from anything of theirs I've tasted before :D

Cheers Tom

dogchillibilly
Steady Drinker

Post by dogchillibilly » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:49 pm

I think they change it batch to batch... I have had it a few times and it never tastes quite the same.

DeGarre
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by DeGarre » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:55 am

dogchillibilly wrote:I think they change it batch to batch... I have had it a few times and it never tastes quite the same.
Thwaite is quite a big brewery isn't it but this makes sense for smaller breweries. I've been thinking this as a local midsized brewery has problems with yeast but apparently mostly with Cascade hops. They claim they got a bad batch of hops and now they've done tweaks and the beer is different. Beer geeks and tickers are furious but if the approach would be to admit we brew differently from batch to batch then I see no problem (Mikkeller) and it must also be costly and time-consuming to brew consistently every time. Which can be a struggle for a small brewery.

So if I had a brewery I would just brew very similar but different from batch to batch.

Sorry, slightly OT.

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:51 am

Got a bottle of this to try tonight, will report findings later.
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

critch

Post by critch » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:21 pm

DeGarre wrote:but apparently mostly with Cascade hops. .
ive had 5 seperate alpha values from 6.2 - 9.1% in the last year, its been a right git to keep 4 of my beers even remotely similar this year, seen it with a lot of local micros too

barry44

Post by barry44 » Fri May 15, 2015 9:26 pm

Drinking a can right now. Lovely stuff. All my favourite hops.