vienna malt recipie plz

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
lee1
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

vienna malt recipie plz

Post by lee1 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:23 pm

hi all looking for a vienna malt recipie [got loads of american hops ] want to try all vienna or nearly all , love the taste of vienna [open to yeast sugestions as well ] cheers lee :)
soon be dead thank beer for that no pain where im going :-)

Barley Water
Under the Table

Re: vienna malt recipie plz

Post by Barley Water » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:53 pm

Well I make a Vienna lager every year in the spring (assuming you are not adverse to messing with lager yeast). It's pretty easy, almost 100% Vienna malt, a little melonodin malt plus a touch of Carafa for color. Hop to about 25 IBU and away you go. Of course, you could also just make up you own style; you know, a Vienna hop bomb. :D
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

far9410
Even further under the Table

Post by far9410 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:16 am

Hi mate, you can use all Vienna in a pale ale, bit more malty, I would cut it 50/50 with Maris but you can't go wrong either way
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:14 pm

I'm going for an Oktoberfest with my Vienna :wink:

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

npg

Post by npg » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:47 pm

Hello!

I grew up in Bavaria and love Vienna malt too! Maris is also fantastic. In fact, British maltsters are excellent, after all they showed us how to make Pale malt back then ;)

For an Oktoberfest brew there is Pilsner, Munich and Vienna malt to play with. Nothing else :D I'd aim for 10-13 EBC (note that you will drop 3EBC post-ferment if your pH is correct). I prefer as much Vienna as possible to hit this colour, but a bit of Munich to round it off a little. Pilsner is just a filler.

Modern malts with an SNR above 38 respond quite well to the Hochkurz schedule. Water at 62C, then malt in, will drop to about 58C, rest 10-15 mins, then heat to 62 and proceed as usual pulling 30-33% of the mash for each decoction (1:2 ratio). First deco saccharification is at 70-72C until it passes the iodine test. Then boil for 5". After returning deco your mash should be at 70-72C. Then wait 30" then last deco (again, 30-33@ 1:2), boil for 5 and return for mash out at 75-77C. You could also just infuse to these temps and take a percentage of the first wort and boil it down for 20", but it won't release the extra starches so your beer will be darker and have a slightly different flavour profile. Depends how authentic you want it to be.

The classic Anton Dreher recipe uses a huge amount of vienna with a little Munich and a little Pilsener. Hops in this case are Styrian Goldings for bittering and Aroma. 1g per l of Saaz in the last 10-15 minutes.

19-24 IBU (Tinseth) I would reckon....

Oktoberfest is right in-between an Export and a Bock. Most of them are at 13.7 Plato - giving a brew of about 6-6.4% ABV

I ferment them w the classic cold fermentation w warm maturation schedule (see Esslinger http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/H ... pgs-BEG_8C).

Pitch at 6C, let it run up to 9C, then after 50% attenuation up to 12C where it should stay until final attenuation. Lager at -1/-2C for a week, then filter and bottle.

Great yeast to work with are WLP820, WLP830, WLP860 or the corresponding Wyeast strains. I usually propagate/revitalise the yeast a little with a 7% mass starter (7 Plato) if it is the 1st generation. One vial of lab yeast per 10l is a good pitch rate. When using slurry I take twice that amount by weight.

I aerate to 8-10ppm at pitch, then once more after fermentation started (pH drop by 0.10 unit).

Happy Brewing!