3 Recipes: SEYMOUR CITRA GOLD, CITRA DARK, EL REY APA

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
far9410
Even further under the Table

Re: 3 Recipes: SEYMOUR CITRA GOLD, CITRA DARK, EL REY APA

Post by far9410 » Thu May 14, 2015 8:21 pm

Got some galena, could i substitute for magnum?
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Thu May 14, 2015 9:49 pm

Sure, why not? It'll be different, but not bad. Magnum is very neutral flavour-wise, Galena isn't. You'll likely contribute some extra floral, herbal, vegetal notes.

steambrew
Piss Artist

Post by steambrew » Mon May 18, 2015 5:44 pm

Seymour you have done it again the citra dark looks just up my street =D>

seymour

Post by seymour » Tue May 19, 2015 2:02 am

steambrew wrote:Seymour you have done it again the citra dark looks just up my street =D>
Glad to hear it. I'm sure you'll like it.

tazuk

Post by tazuk » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:57 pm

dam these look good but are the hops leaf or pellet =D> :D

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:32 am

tazuk wrote:dam these look good but are the hops leaf or pellet =D> :D
Either will suffice, whatever you can get ahold of, and have best results with on your system. Cheers!

D4nny74
Hollow Legs

Post by D4nny74 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:14 pm

How long do you condition the citra gold for ?

Cheers

Danny

D4nny74
Hollow Legs

Post by D4nny74 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:09 pm

Just had my first taste of the citra gold , cracking brew , deffo getting this on next week :D , anyone used equinox hops, supposed to be a good substitute ?

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:22 pm

No but arroan(I know it's spelt wrong) is selling azetecca pellets which is similar to citra for 7.50

seymour

Post by seymour » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:52 am

Well, I really like Azacca hops, but they are NOTHING like Citra. The beauty of the Citra Gold recipe, though, is that it's a nice, simple, sessionable golden ale using a very small amount of a very pungent hop. That pungent hop variety can be whatever you want, it's a great basis for single hop experiments.
sbond10 wrote:No but arroan(I know it's spelt wrong) is selling azetecca pellets which is similar to citra for 7.50
Here's the thread Bonders was talking about, in case anyone wants to place an order: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=74404&p=777518#p776135
Aaron wrote:US & NZ pellet hops (T90) from Simply Hops and Charles faram. All are vac packed and frozen ready to send.

Amarillo: 500g £17, 250g £8.50.
Cascade: 500g £14, 250g £7.
Columbus: 500g £9, 250g £4.50.
Azacca: 500g £15, 250g £7.50.
Wai iti: 500g £16, 250g £8.

All 2014 crop.

P&P is £3 for UK (up to 2kg). Please enquire if you're on the continent. PM if interested.

Cheers
And here are my tasting notes, in case anyone cares:
seymour wrote:Amarillo/VGXP01: which I've tasted in countless brews, including my own recipes, and is one of my favourites. Seymourillo is a popular recipe on this forum. New-ish all-purpose hop introduced by Vigil Gamache Farms in Washington. Definitely an intense American IPA hop. Super fruity, tangy. Grapefruit and orange marmalade, apricots, candied apples. Earth, pine resin, honey, perfume. Highly recommended. I'm not exactly sure why, but I've noticed it's especially popular in reddish American-IPAs, probably proof that it stands up well to crystal malt sweetness.

Cascade: surely requires no introduction. Pure, unadulterated, American grapefruity goodness. Shamelessly overused but always tasty, which is why.

Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (C-T-Z): can be thought of as Cascade on crack cocaine, in a good way…and/or a bad way. Probably the most popular super-alpha variety, commoditized for the megabreweries. Most drinkers harbour an extreme love or hate relationship, this is the very definition of an immediately recognizeable American IPA hop. Piercing bitterness, dank dank dank ganja-like resin, intense grapefruit, black currant, pine, musk. Pairs great with the sharp graininess of rye. Just a dab'll do ya, or use lots for a kick-in-yer-face hop bomb.

Azacca: my recent rating of Schlafly Hop Trial Azacca
4 out of 5 (an extremely high rating from me, especially for a single-hop recipe): Aroma 8 out of 10, Appearance 4 out of 5, Taste 7 out of 10, Palate 4 out of 5, Overall 17 out of 20
Tasted on tap at The Bottleworks in a nonic pub glass. It poured a crystal-clear golden colour with thick and creamy white foam, everlasting with lots of nice lace. Much improved appearance compared to past Schlafly Hop Trials. Basic pale malt traits, faintly biscuity, very little residual sweetness, the overall balance obviously dominated by hops. Based on this trial, Azacca hops have a strong but smooth bitterness, intense and distinctive but not nearly as rough as most other new high-alpha varieties. Intense flavours too: broadleaf weeds, herbal tea, black pepper, black currant, grapefruit rind, wildflower honey, overripe apricots, radish, cedar, faint curry spices. The aroma seemed sweeter than the beer actually tasted, hinting at candy/caramel, very floral, clementine oranges. This single hop is extremely complex, lots of familiar traits but seldom found in one place. I would compare this to a beer using Perle and Columbus for bittering, Amarillo, Cluster, Simcoe and Mosaic for flavour, Crystal and First Gold for aroma. I know, right?! Light body, strong carbonation, pleasant alcoholic warmth, surprisingly dry finish, lingering hoppy aftertaste with no stickiness. Very tasty.

I tasted Azacca in Oskar Blues Pinner Throwback IPA too, which was delicious, but blended with 7 other hops it was impossible to differentiate what the Azacca contributed.

Wai-iti: dunno…this is one of the few new varieties I haven't tasted yet.

jmc

Post by jmc » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:37 pm

A belated Happy New Year to you Seymour.

Would you mind if I added these to the new custom recipe kit section on The Malt Miller's site?

seymour

Post by seymour » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:23 pm

jmc wrote:A belated Happy New Year to you Seymour.
Happy New Year to you too!
jmc wrote:Would you mind if I added these to the new custom recipe kit section on The Malt Miller's site?
Not at all, I'd be honoured.

jmc

Post by jmc » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:26 am

seymour wrote:
jmc wrote:A belated Happy New Year to you Seymour.
Happy New Year to you too!
jmc wrote:Would you mind if I added these to the new custom recipe kit section on The Malt Miller's site?
Not at all, I'd be honoured.
Thanks again Seymour.
Seymour's Citra Gold added. :D
see new recipe kit MyKit000051 on The Malt Miller's site

Bunglebrewsbeer
Hollow Legs

Post by Bunglebrewsbeer » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:37 am

These look great!!

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:50 am

Bunglebrewsbeer wrote:These look great!!
...and they taste great, too! ;)